• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fabricated Street Sign

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

d134

What is the name of your state? california

I currently live on the end of a cul-de-sac. This woman across my street and aprx 3 doors down puts a sign up in the middle of the road that reads "CAUTION 5mph speed limit" She does this because her kids are playing. But on occassion I have seen her put her trash can in the middle of the road and its very annoying to keep drving around her obstacles..... Is this legal? can a person just fabricate a street sign and put it where ever they want? btw i think the speed limit in residential is 15 mph... The sign looks real enough but upon closer inspection you can tell it was made by her.

She began using the sign when her 3 year old and a neighbors child where behind a big suv and i was driving up the street, one then pushed the other one in a little wagon down the neighbors drive way and they went in front of my car I had plenty of time to stop... and no one got hurt...all the while she was yaking across the street unaware of what had occured until someone yelled out.

Is there anyway to get her to get rid of that sign?? Why do I have to avoid obstacles because of her neglect?

K

krispenstpeter

The next time she does this call the police.

Case closed.

D

d134

I did

I did call the sheriff station they said " Well shes only doing it to protect her kids" Plus she said she could send someone out but and i quote "they probably wont cite her". I dont wont her to be cited i just dont want to drive through an obstacle course to get home. Should i take pictures of the sign or trash can???? and get her address for the police to warn her about it??

K

krispenstpeter

Then march your butt down to the sheriff's department and file a formal complaint. Geez man, I can't hold your hand and do it for you. If this is an issue then deal with it.

D

d134

Jeez.....No thanks, No need for you to hold my hand...just trying to explain myself... now i know why laywers get a bad reputation they expect everyone to know everything they do lol. Im only 19 for gods sake...

K

krispenstpeter

Being only 19 is no excuse for not doing anything. And I am not an attorney. I just don't live with my head up my ass.

You think because I live on a road where the median income is more than $10 Million a year I haven't faced this same issue. Except it wasn't a trash can or street sign. It was a 24 x 5 foot metal container used for construction materials left in the middle of the road at night.

And guess what I did? I put a chain around the damn thing, hooked it around a 16 foot 100 year old maple tree, drove to the sheriff's office, filed a formal complaint and drove back with the deputy to where this damn thing was.

We waited until the owner, a construction company doing work on Alan Jackson's home came and got it out of the road, along with a citation for $5,000 for public endangerment.

If the damn woman wants to protect her children tell her to stop letting them play in the street.

CASE CLOSED!

D

d134

good for you.... jesus you might want to relax probably not good for your blood pressure

K

krispenstpeter

I retired at 45.

I pay other people to worry for me

D

d134

retired at 45 and insulting 19 year olds on forums... I was trying to be nice and eager to learn about my options instead you jump on me... good luck with everything...I hope your paying those people a lot of money to worry for you... you're quite a peice of work

S

SlackZac

Have you spoken to the neighbor about her taking down the signs? I tend to think that the police will want you to try that route before bringing them into the mix.

In my opinion, putting up signs like that isn't solving her problem. In fact, I think it gives the kids some false sense of security to play in the street.

K

krispenstpeter

retired at 45 and insulting 19 year olds on forums
And you are insutling my intelligence. Either deal with the problem or not. That's your choice. This is not a bitch site where you can come and whine. You have your Legal options. If you choose to exercise them then great. If you choose not to then you get what you deserve.

D

d134

Well no I havent talked to her about removing the sign. For the most part I try and avoid her after i gave her a peice of my mind about letting her kids play unsupervised. Seems like parents dont like to be told they're wrong by 19 year olds without kids. Shes probably doing it to spite me hehe next time ill just run over the sign with my dads hummer jk lol. Ok guys thanks for the replies

TOPIC CLOSED! for you petey

K

krispenstpeter

That's a real grown up response. Destruction of private property. Let us know how long you spend in jail and how much you end up paying in fines and restitution.

Oh, and how many times you fill out employment applications and have to mark yes when asked have you ever been convicted of a crime.

Listen kid, grow up. Haven't you figured out yet why not one other person had told you what the legal solution is to your problem?

Got it yet? Because on this forum, when you receive the legal answer, we stop. We do not step on other's toes. And you received the ONLY legal answer you have in my first response.

Oh hell, do whatever the hell you want. You're not worth the effort.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">