• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

corporation "not in good standing"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dtm1966

What is the name of your state? Texas
i am going to sue a corporation in small claims court but when researching officers and company information i discovered the status of the corporation is "not in good standing" because they have not paid their franchise tax (don't know what this is) since 1992. my question - when i file in JP court do i still file against the incorporated company, against an unincorporated buisness or against the registered agent who has been running this very small companyas an individual ? thanks

Last edited:

JETX

Might not be what you want to hear, but you should file your suit in the name of the corporation, plus any officers individually. When time comes to court, be sure to bring a CERTIFIED copy of their corporate dissolution (available from TX Comptroller) and show the court that he is operating as a corporation without a charter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">