• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

gaining custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

starwitch2000

I live in California and have for almost three years....however my exhusband is in the military and has been for almost four years. We were married in Washington state and my daughter was born in washington but does washington have jurisdiction over our custody case or would california?

MySonsMom

Wherever the child has lived for the past 6 months (I think that is what it is) is where the jurisdiction with be held..Since the child lives with you in California, and you guys have lived there over 4 yrs, California has jurisdiction over the child.

------------------
~MySonsMom~

A

amwilder

The law in Texas states that the state in which the child has been residing for the past 6 months has jurisdiction. California almost without a doubt has jurisdiction.

LegalBeagle

Yes, CA does have jurisdiction providing the child has been with you for those 3 years.

Jurisdiction is more complicated than where the child has been for the last 6 months so anyone else reading this thread, your situation may be different so do not 'assume' that the 6 month part is all that is to it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">