• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Advice in Splitting Assets & Debts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Suzanne

I would like some advice on the splitting of Assets and Debts. I have custody of our 2 year old son and moved out of a rental house I once shared with my ex-husband. I basically took only what I needed to continue on - including my debts and physical materials, ie. some furniture, clothes, kid stuff. But now my divorce is in the "final" stages of paperwork and I've submitted my Assets and Debts and last years' tax information to his attorney. I do not have an attorney. I know that everything is split 50/50 but I would like to learn about how this is arrived at - is it really as simple as adding up both columns and dividing it by 2???

LegalBeagle

It will be as simple or as difficult as your ex's attorney wants to make it.. he can screw you big time if they wanted to.. that is why, if there is anything of value, you need an attorney.

S

Suzanne

Does a private citizen (no attorney) not have any rights to dispute/challenge the splitting of assets and debts? I would like to split my debts with him and, even more so, receive 50% payment for materials items left in his possession. His attorney will be sending me the final papers soon and I would like to know what my rights are in responding to the possible imbalance in splitting of materials possessions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">