• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lent Laptop to Friend, Can't Get it Back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

poedboy

What is the name of your state? CA

I had taken a loan out(est $2500) on a laptop for school sometime ago. I left school, but my supposed "friend" needed one for a "little while" since hers broke. I lent mine to her.

Its now been over 2 years since I've last seen the computer. For various reasons, I haven't pressed too hard to retrieve it since then...but anyways-- I am trying to get it back from her now, and everything seemed okay, she was cooperative at first. But now I sense somethings up, and shes avoiding contact with me.

Also, not sure if this matters at all, but last time I had gotten a status report from her regarding the computer, she told me that her niece had damaged it, but that it was still in working condition. She also said she was willing to pay for the damage(I dont have that in writing though).

I can provide payment records, and I have all packaging of the computer. When I exchanged the computer with her, my mother was present, as was one of her friends..I don't know if any of thats useful but thought I'd mention it.

I'm absolutely furious right now. Best case scenario (outside of getting the computer back) would be to get some reimbursement, but I have no problems with "teaching her a lesson".

Do I have any legal options for this?

Thank you ahead of time.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

It's called Small Claims court. You're entitled to the reasonable, fair market value, of a 2 year old computer of it's type - - not the replacement value.

When you finally end up in court, bring all of your witnesses and all written documentation of ownership.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">