• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

klauxa

What is the name of your state? Ohio

There is a rental property on my street that has become the "hangout" for many neighborhood troublemakers. Often, as many as 15-30 teenagers and young adults are hanging out on the front porch of this house, screaming and fist fighting each other at all hours of the day and night. Last summer, the police were called over 70 times in a three-month period.

I have attempted to locate any laws that could be used to force the property owner to evict (i.e. Nuisance laws, noise ordinance, etc.) Could anyone point me in the right direction on where to find these laws or how to rememdy the situation? Thank you.

A

ALLISHA

Have you tried to get the other neighbors involved? You could call a meeting with the neighbors and see if any of them have any idea's as well. I don't have any legal advise for you, but I may be able to offer some help. I have seen the same issue before. The neighborhood actually came together as a community and saved up money and purchased the property and used it as a park or something positive. If you own it and they come around you can then charge them with trespassing.

K

klauxa

Actually, it's the other neighbors who are constantly calling the police. That hasn't made any difference, so I thought I'd solicit some other ideas. The landlord doesn't seem to care (he lives in another part of town.) I'm wondering if there is a way to force him to deal with his tenents' issues.

A

ALLISHA

That's also a great idea. Maybe make some phone calls to the landlord as well as send some letters to make sure they are aware of the issue. You might also bring up how this affects the landlord. They are most likely business people. Most business people care the most about things affect them. Let them know that this is bring down the value of their property as well as the fact that they could be damaging it, costing the landlords more money

K

klauxa

I've been told that the kids who cause a lot of the trouble actually have a police scanner. They tend to disappear by the time the police show up. They've tried patroling the area, but have only ever arrested a few people for fighting. They're usually out there again the next day bragging about getting arrested.

The police don't seem overly motivated to address the problem.

K

klauxa

All I'm really looking for is someone to point me in the direction of how to locate the applicable laws. I've checked out the State of Ohio's website, and found nothing searching the laws with the keywords of "nuisance" or "noise". Is there a good source out there for us non-lawyer types to find out about this stuff?

dequeendistress

Call YOUR city mayor's office and ask for the ordinance or code enforcement office, or possibly the police station could advise you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">