• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Abstract of Judgment - Help needed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your State? CA

I have an Abstract of Judgment for $8,000 in restitution that is to be paid to me (I am the victim). I know that I can place a wage garnishment and a lien on any assets he may own, but does anyone know anything further about this process. I have a PI getting me the information on where he works his assets, etc. and I want to be prepared once I have the info. Do I just send the court signed and stamped Abstract of Judgment to his employer?

Any help would be appreciated.

Found out it's not small claims

Thank you for the link, but unfortunately I have discovered that because of the amount, it is not considered small claims. The original amount was $8,000 - however, there has been 10% per year added from the sentencing date which was 5/99.

Any help in finding out what I need to do to collect the restitution would be greatly appreciated.

JETX

"Do I just send the court signed and stamped Abstract of Judgment to his employer?"
*** No. The process of enforcing a judgment depends on what assets the debtor might have... and what is easiest/fastest to get. These include wage and/or bank garnishment (levy) and property seizure.

The link provided by Blonde was really intended to show you the 'Post Judgment Information' section at the left frame. The information provided there is virtually the same for non-small claims cases also.
http://consumer-affairs.co.la.ca.us/SmallClaims/Claiming Interestf.htm#TopOfPage

One other suggestion... go to a local bookstore or library and get a book titled "How to Win in Small Claims Court in California" (or similar). The last chapter or so will be how to collect the judgment (also not small claims specific).

Finally, if you need further help, you might go to: http://www.cajp.org/

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">