• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suspicious guy caught trying to pick up my 15 yr old daughter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

chatters555

What is the name of your state? Connecticut

Thiis was about a month ago....I have a 15 yr old daughter and I think she may have been trying to meet an older guy on the internet (AOL). I found a phone # on my bill that doesnt look familiar. It looks like my daughter called them and talked a couple of times. I then was present as a car drove up to supposedly pick her up. I noticed it looked like an older guy with a hat on. I approacehed the car and asked where the friend was that she was supposed to be witht pick her up. He said she was at home, I was suspicious, he lookeed nervus and took off. Could I go to the police with this, even though they didn't actually do anything and may have never met? What if she lied about her age? Could this guy face trouble with the law for talking to her on aol and trying to meet her eeven though he never did?? What would a detective be able to do? could they look into aol? i'm confused. Thanks

Son of Slam

chatters555 said:
What is the name of your state? Connecticut

Thiis was about a month ago....I have a 15 yr old daughter and I think she may have been trying to meet an older guy on the internet (AOL). I found a phone # on my bill that doesnt look familiar. It looks like my daughter called them and talked a couple of times. I then was present as a car drove up to supposedly pick her up. I noticed it looked like an older guy with a hat on. I approacehed the car and asked where the friend was that she was supposed to be witht pick her up. He said she was at home, I was suspicious, he lookeed nervus and took off. Could I go to the police with this, even though they didn't actually do anything and may have never met? What if she lied about her age? Could this guy face trouble with the law for talking to her on aol and trying to meet her eeven though he never did?? What would a detective be able to do? could they look into aol? i'm confused. Thanks

How do you know it was AOL? This sounds more like something Microsoft would be up to. She may even have an account with Juno that you do not know about. I would suggest you take her harddrive to an expert to fined EVERYTHING on it.

K

krispenstpeter

Until you come back and answer Jenni's question you get nothing.

C

chatters555

Jeni, Kris, sos

It had to be aol. She is on it all the time. All I am on here to do is to seek some advice. It is hard enough and humbling enough getting advice from people I know on this matter, let alone confronting her about it. I realize that yes, I do need to open up the lines of communication. Other than tracking down and confronting the s.o.b., I don't know what else. However thanks all for replying.

MelPurvis

IF you are the concerned father,
AOL has a feature that allows you to view posts made by users (you should be familiar with parental controls). I have used it to flag my son when he tried to talk his girl friend to taking their 'relationship' to the next 'level'. Take a look at this feature with out telling her and if the conversations are inappropriate its time for a come to Jesus meeting before you become a grandparent..........or worse.

Jesca3001

"Coming to Jesus" doesn't mean she will stop talking to this guy, but thats beside the point.
You need to learn how to use parental controls. you can block her from recieving emails altogether on her aol account if your screenname is a master screenname, and you can set the kind of sites she is allowed to visit, even restrict her from going to any sites other than ones you list.check the history file on the computer, it will list every site she has been to within the amount of days that the computer is set to keep history files.

however, i must add that your post seems to implicate YOU as the person who tried to pick her up...if this is so, yes, it is illegal for someone to pick up a minor they meet on the internet, and you can be prosectued for it.

R

Ramoth

We took Parental Controls one step further. The only computer in the house near a phone line (and thus, with Internet access) is in our bedroom, so when the kids wanted to use the 'Net they used our computer, and we kept an eye on what sites they were visiting.

So my step-daughter set up a Hotmail account from the library computers at school and used that for her chats and email.

OP, the first thing you need to do is find out if your daughter knew the person she was going to meet was a middle-aged man or not. If she did know, then she needs counseling. If she didn't know, then she needs to read about all the girls who are kidnapped and raped or killed by the pedophiles they meet online, most of whom pretend to be teeny-boppers themselves.

R

Ramoth

Oh, and if you hadn't already, file a police report about this sicko.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">