• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Juvenile with suspended license

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

ambb

What is the name of your state? Indiana

My son has a vehicle titled in his name. He is under 18. I have insurance on my vehicle and on his vehicle. We are billed seperately for both vehicles an get the multicar discount. I went through a tough financial period and my auto was up for reposession. Therefore, I let my insurance lapse. This would cause the premium for my sons vehicle to go up in price and I couldn't afford the payment. Therefore, I let his insurance lapse also (for a 3 week period). I didn't tell my son about it and let him drive. I know, stupid thing to do.
He was involved in an accident (not his fault). However, in Indiana the police report all accidents to the BMV and the BMV requires the driver of the vehicle to show proof of insurance. This is a form that is completed and signed by the insurance provider and provided to the BMV. Well, I can't do this - my son didn't have coverage.
When the proof of insurance requirement is not met, the individual gets his license suspended for 90 days and has to pay a fine and show proof of insurance to get the license reinstated.
My son had no idea that he was driving without insurance. Now he is going to have his license suspended.
Can this happen to a juvenile? The bill didn't even come in his name. It was in my name. Isn't the parent responsible?
If his license can be suspended - can he get permission to drive to and from school and work?
He has no other traffic violations, tickets or anything.

Please help.

Thanks

lwpat

"Please help."

Unfortunately it is too late. Have your son go to the DMV and see if they will allow a hardship license.

And yes you are responsibe for the fact he now has no license. You are just fortunate that the accident was not his fault.

JETX

"Can this happen to a juvenile?"
*** In the case where the vehicle and insurance are in his name, yes.

"The bill didn't even come in his name. It was in my name. Isn't the parent responsible?"
*** Not as you have the 'deal' structured. Simply, you 'played' with the title and insurance by putting them in his name.... and he gets to pay for it.

"If his license can be suspended - can he get permission to drive to and from school and work?"
*** Depends. Some states have 'hardship' circumstances. However, since this is due to failure to show financial responsibility (via insurance), I doubt that they will grant one. Go ahead and ask.. the worst they can do is say no.

"He has no other traffic violations, tickets or anything."
*** Good.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">