• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bop

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

ggo0405

What is the name of your state? va
you'll have to excuse me, but the "legal speak" is not my forte...i am the accountant. i do not understand the lingo so could you drop it down a notch - please! it is very hard to understand your point.
the request for the bop seems like a ploy to see if we are serious about recouping our fees. it has been my experience that if we involve a lawyer, any recoupement of our funds will be lost because the legal fees will soak that up. that is why it is important if i can prepare this bop myself - to save money. i would like to try, we are a family run business and the margin for profit is very small. i am not a lawyer, but i understand the premise & need format information - examples of what a bop is or looks like so that it will be proffessional when it is submitted.
any information in the bop will strictly contain payment, & amounts owed which is my area of expertise. the information that a lawyer would need to fill out this bop that is ordered would be strictly accounting registers and the like. So it just seems wasteful to have a lawyer brought in to ask me the particulars - doesn't that make sense? to me, it clearly is a case of the defendant not wanting to pay & apparently he would rather pay his lawyer-go figure ?
one last question, is there a certain format that this document is suppose to follow. at least with numbers & figures, a balance sheet is the same no matter how big or small a business or person becomes. where can i get the needed information to fill out this "big deal" - the bill of particulars? i have sent a statement of account, which in essence is an accounting version of the information. am i correct in assuming the bop is a written version of the accounting? is there a manual or something i can reference - say in a library? can you make it simple on me & not go into "lawyer speak" - i honestly feel like it is a foreign language. no speak lawyer! i appreciate your assistance. thank you.

ALawyer

Be careful -- to many "a BOP" sometimes means a Business Owner's liability Policy, rather than a Bill of Particulars.

If the other side is using a lawyer to defend a claim you brought, the Bill of Pariculars is demanding that you now provide detais on each item of the information you alleged. The form and timing depends on your state's civil practice laws and customs.

Go to a law library and look at the state practice handbooks or treatises to get some ideas as to form and substance. Or go to the courthouse and ask the court clerk if there might be any on file so you can use them as a model. BUT, once the other side has a professional working for it, it is likely to continue to take you thru the legal maze and "discover you" to death and look for you to miss a deadline and file motions on various grounds to dismiss the case or delay it forever.

Last time I looked, accountants charged just about the same as lawyers. So unless you work for free, it probably is in your client's interest to get a real profesional -- here a lawyer -- to respond.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">