• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Distributing flyers on Cars in Parking Lots

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

satinguo

What is the name of your state? MN

I hate Wal-Mart and want everyone else to too.

My plan was to put anti-WalMart propaganda flyers under the windshield wipers of cars in the Wal-Mart parking lot.

1-Is this legal?
2-Would it be legal to distribute flyers in this manner on public property (roads, etc.)?

Any information appreciated! Thank You!

JETX

"1-Is this legal?"
*** Is 'what' legal?? The flyers, probably, free speech and all. Entering someone elses property to distribute them..... could be trespassing.

"2-Would it be legal to distribute flyers in this manner on public property (roads, etc.)?"
*** Check with your local agencies. Some prohibit 'display or distribution' on public property. Also, your flyers might be considered 'littering'.

S

satinguo

Thanks for both responses

Actually, it's a "social action" project for class.

In my defense, I think education is the most effective way to bring about social change--I'm targeting WalMart because they draw in many consumers ignorant to the horrors of this Corp.
I thought flyers on WalMart shoppers' vehicles would be effective because if someone has a flyer on their car they are at least going to glance at it..

Perhaps I'm not creative...
Do you know a better way to educate and create a boycott?

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Gotta tell you, satinguo, I hate Wal-Mart too and never shop there. But if I found such a flyer on my windshield, I'd do exactly the same thing I do with all the other flyers I find on my windshield - throw it away without even looking at it. And even though I agree with your position on the chain, even if I accidently caught sight of what you were writing about, my first response would be on the order of, "just another sorehead who's too immature to get over a real or imagined wrong".

I think there are better ways to go about educating public opinion.

K

krispenstpeter

In my defense, I think education is the most effective way to bring about social change--I'm targeting WalMart because they draw in many consumers ignorant to the horrors of this Corp.
And that is no defense to ignorance. What what the hell do you know about Wal-Mart, it's founder, the history and social responsibilities of the company?

If this is your only way to address what you preceive as a 'social issue' then you need a hell of a lot more education.

HomeGuru

satinguo said:
What is the name of your state? MN

I hate Wal-Mart and want everyone else to too.

My plan was to put anti-WalMart propaganda flyers under the windshield wipers of cars in the Wal-Mart parking lot.

**A: it would be if you did not obtain permission to enter and be on private property. And you could be arrested for trespassing if you were asked to leave the property and did not.

S

satinguo

Thanks Again! I REALLY appreciate all the feedback.

krispenstpeter and cbg:

You both say there are better ways to go about educating this problem...Can you give me any suggestions?? I'm not denying the obvious flaws with my seemingly un-educated idea but I couldn't think of a more effective way to reach WalMart shoppers (then again, I've never been good at communicating my ideas through any means but film).

What do I know about WalMart? Let me condense this..

1-Founded by Waltons, 5 of whom are among the wealthiest 10 people in America (to illustrate, top 1% of rich own 49% of wealth, top 10% own 83%)
2-Many large Corporations are corrupt, yet have disgusting amounts of power in America both socially and politically (i.e. special interest groups: Walmart is #2 contributor to 2004 elections, already having donated 1 million).
3-I'm targeting Walmart because they are the largest, and in turn most powerful and (IMO) corrupt Corp., and boycott is a method for fighting problems practical for the everyday person (as consumers, we have the power-if we didn't give our money to these places, they wouldn't exist.) The overemphasis on price has led consumers to ignore the actual cost. To quote Steve Dobbins, a supplier who fell victim of WalMart's hardarming: "We want clean air, clear water, good living conditions, the best health care in the world--yet we aren't willing to pay for anything manufactured under those restrictions."

BOTTOM LINE:
Walmart ruthlessly stomps on workers, neighborhoods, competitors, and suppliers (not to mention the children in sweatshops). Want some factual justification for these assertions?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Sorry, satinguo, but this is where I draw the line. If you come up with another idea, I'm more than happy to offer constructive criticism. But it's YOUR class and YOUR homework; it's got to be YOUR idea.

divgradcurl

Homeguru,

you said "it would be if you did not obtain permission to enter and be on private property. And you could be arrested for trespassing if you were asked to leave the property and did not."

Actually, I think that this may not always be the case. In
Pruneyard Shopping Ctr. v. Robins, 447 U.S. 74 (1980), the Supremes said that a shopping mall that invited the public onto its premises couldn't keep people from collecting signatures on a petition and the like. This Walmart thing isn't exactly the same, but it is certainly at least somewhat analagous..

S

satinguo

cbg said:
Sorry, satinguo, but this is where I draw the line. If you come up with another idea, I'm more than happy to offer constructive criticism. But it's YOUR class and YOUR homework; it's got to be YOUR idea.
This is where you "draw the line"? Jeeze, I'm not asking you to spoon-feed me an assignment. This is actually something I care about doing: whether or not it gets some homework done isn't my primary concern. Besides, shouldn't we share our knowledge and help educate others??
You said there are "better ways to go about educating public opinion" and I'd like to learn from your ideas.

If its any comfort, I finished my project so if you do offer justification for your opinion (which I'd still like to hear) I can't "plagerize" your idea for an 'A'.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You're misunderstanding me. I'm not talking about spoon-feeding you or plagerizing my ideas. It's not at all an issue of not being willing to help you. But I'm a former teacher and as such, I don't believe that you're going to learn anything from my telling you what to do for your project or giving you an idea how to do it. In order to have any value, the idea has to come from YOU.

Besides, I didn't say that I had better ideas and that I just wasn't willing to share them. I said that I thought there were better ideas than the windshield flyers. I didn't mean to insinuate that I was holding ideas back from you.

K

krispenstpeter

1-Founded by Waltons, 5 of whom are among the wealthiest 10 people in America (to illustrate, top 1% of rich own 49% of wealth, top 10% own 83%)
WRONG! Wal-Mart was started as Sam's 5 & 10 on the East side of the town square in Bentonville, Arkansas with an initial investment of $500 and a monthly rental of the old Ice Cream shop which now has replaced the original store.

2-Many large Corporations are corrupt, yet have disgusting amounts of power in America both socially and politically (i.e. special interest groups: Walmart is #2 contributor to 2004 elections, already having donated 1 million).
WRONG! Corporations may not contribute to politican campaigns and are limited to contributing a limited amount to Political Action Committees.

While some of the investors and employees may have contributed, they are private citizens who are allowed to make their own choices. Just as you or I am allowed to make.

3-I'm targeting Walmart because they are the largest, and in turn most powerful and (IMO) corrupt Corp
You like bandying that work "CORRUPT" around so much then offer proof of corrupt practices and why they are corrupt. Get it right or get off the soapbox.

BOTTOM LINE:
You have no idea of what you speak. You want to talk about sweatshops, then target NIKE, addidas or any of the 1,000s of companies who have taken advantage of the U.S. Free Trade agreements. Or why not the U.S. Government that has allowed trade and jobs to go to Mexico where the daily wage is less than you spend on lunch each and every day. NAFTA. Remember that?

Kid, you have your head so far up your ass you have no idea what you're talking about. And if you walked into my classroom with this crap, you would fail.

Because you have no premsis, no structure and most of all, no basis in proof.

Now, if you want to know about Wal-Mart, learn. And don't come on this forum and talk this crap to someone who spend a hell of a lot of time riding around in a 1976 beatup old chevy truck with Sam and Helen.

C

coosi

Regarding 'social action' and Wal-Mart.

I have some experience and I would suggest becoming active in your neighborhood association, and if you don't have one, start one. Neighborhood associations usually have an amazing amount of clout in local government. This is also where "anti big box" (i.e. WalMart, Home Depot, etc) activity has been most successful...

HomeGuru

divgradcurl said:
Homeguru,

you said "it would be if you did not obtain permission to enter and be on private property. And you could be arrested for trespassing if you were asked to leave the property and did not."

Actually, I think that this may not always be the case. In
Pruneyard Shopping Ctr. v. Robins, 447 U.S. 74 (1980), the Supremes said that a shopping mall that invited the public onto its premises couldn't keep people from collecting signatures on a petition and the like. This Walmart thing isn't exactly the same, but it is certainly at least somewhat analagous..
**A: 2 entirely different scenarios. One has to do with collecting signatures for a petition and the other placing hate Walmart flyers on customers cars where Walmart is a tenant of the shopping center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">