• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

They say I can't

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

missma

What is the name of your state? KY

I would like to file a claim against my ex-fieance. He claimed he had bought this home and wanted me and my children to move in with him. So we did then he stated we would have all new furniture and took my old stuff to a resale place and said he would get all my things at the old apt. He also made it very clear I did not have to worry about money he would take care of everything. Shortly after moving all of us had to move out he claimed there was a dispute between him and his boss which was also the landlord. We took everything and put in storge. He ask a friend of ours if we could stay with her while we renavated a trailer for us to move into. I was in school and had to leave just till he found a job. My account was overdrawn by 700 becase he kept taking money out to fix up the trialer. He pawned my compter and my car so we could get a tuck for him to start his new job. A week in a half later tell me he got some girl preganat that he went out with durning the summer took the tuck and left us. He claimed he would replace everything. He expected the kids and I to live in a trailer that had no plumbing and no water. Plus the dog had been living in it so there was dog crap and urine everwhere. I knew I would loose my kids if I stayed there. we ended up living in the salvation army for a month in a half. I found out he never purchase the house the girl was not pregnate and i have had to pay for any dept that occured as far as utillities. I have alot of paperwork to prove my case. The thing is Kentcky as a limit in small claims of $1500. This amount is not suffencit for what my children and I when though. I want to sue for punative damages and emotional distress. But no lawyer have talk to will take the case. If I do this myself. What is the process I need to take and do you believe I can win.

divgradcurl

I sympathize with your plight -- its a pretty tragic situation. But the reason a lawyer won't take the case is because even if the case is a winner -- and it might well be -- how is the ex ever going to pay the judgment? From what you've written, he has no assets, doesn't work, etc. -- you can't get blood from a stone, so to speak. Even if you handle the case yourself and win, how does that help?

If you are bound and determined to follow through, you'll need to start doing some research at the library, or hope that you can find a lawyer who'll work for free. A lawsuit is much too complicated to talk you through it over the internet, even if someone had the time to do it.

JETX

"do you believe I can win."
*** In my opinion, very unlikely. Granted, what you describe him doing is certainly unfair and 'dastardly', but there is nothing in your post to even imply that there was any repayment agreement (or even a legal obligation to pay). Simply, you got suckered by a professional.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">