• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

TV show reference

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

vvfilmmaker22

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

In a movie that I and a group of film students are producing (this is by no means a student project; it is professional and independent, though it is student-level), one of the characters has a line to this effect: "That sounds like something out of the Twilight Zone."

Would I need to get permission to make that kind of reference?

V

vvfilmmaker22

Also, would I need to obtain permission to use the DVD-Video logo on the cover of the DVD case?

K

krispenstpeter

Your first question: No.

Your second question is vague. But, if you're meaning is you are going to use the Twilight Zone logo on your CD, the answer is yes, you need the trademark owner's permission.

N

netio

Your second question:

"Any company making DVD products must license essential technology patents from a Philips/Pioneer/Sony pool (3.5% per player, minimum $5; additional $2.50 for Video CD compatibility; 5 cents per disc), a Hitachi/Matsu****a/Mitsubishi/Time Warner/Toshiba/Victor pool (4% per player or drive, minimum $4; 4% per DVD decoder, minimum $1; 7.5 cents per disc) and from Thomson. Patent royalties may also be owed to Discovision Associates, which owns about 1300 optical disc patents (usually paid by the replicator)."

So, usually, you'd end up paying $0.20 for each disc you produce. But that's never clear, and it's always subject to change. And the 1300 optical disc patents held by Discovision doesn't help either.

In conclusion, unless you are making something oscar-worthy, don't need to approach anybody to pay them. They usually come to you.

------------------
The above is only a personal recommendation and in no way indicates that I in any way represent you.

V

vvfilmmaker22

Actually, kristenstpeter, I was referring to the DVD logo that acts as a stamp on almost all DVDs these days. It seems you can't get a movie (or any DVD for that matter) without that logo stamped on the corner.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">