• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Qualified Domestic Relations Order

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Terri

Indiana divorce final in May. His employer sent me a letter in June saying they had rec'd the QDRO and were reviewing it. To date they still have not set aside the 50% of 401K & stock plan that I am to receive. How long do these things usually take, and can they legally take as long as they want? This was a very quick, simple, agreeable divorce.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Terri:
Indiana divorce final in May. His employer sent me a letter in June saying they had rec'd the QDRO and were reviewing it. To date they still have not set aside the 50% of 401K & stock plan that I am to receive. How long do these things usually take, and can they legally take as long as they want? This was a very quick, simple, agreeable divorce.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

It may have been "quick, simple and agreeable", but that's not the point. You're dealing with a State Court Order that must be reviewed for a determination of compliance with Federal Law. Whether a domestic relations order constitutes a QDRO is determined by the plan administrator (subject to review in state or federal court). The administrator has up to 18 months to make this decision, which runs from the date the payments are due to commence (in the interim, amounts subject to the order are to be held for the benefit of the alternate payee, or the person to whom they otherwise would be payable if the order is not a QDRO) To preserve priority rights against potential future QDRO conflicting claims, the alternate payee (spouse or child) should submit the domestic relations order to the plan administrator immediately after it is issued and also request an immediate QDRO determination. In fact, as earlier noted, a sensible precautionary tactic in all cases is to submit a proposed QDRO to the plan administrator for an advance review. (To prevent disappointments under the "first in time" rule, an alternate payee should submit the domestic relations order to the plan administrator as soon as it is issued; and request an immediate QDRO determination.) If a domestic relations property division order meets ERISA's QDRO requirements, the plan administrator must honor it even though the administrator thinks the order violates state law. [Blue v. UAL Corp. (7th Cir. 1998) 160 F.3d 383, 385-386--"Far better to let the states' appellate courts take care of legal errors by trial judges"]

Good luck.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">