• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

help us please!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

luckie08

I've been blessed with a beautiful baby girl. She is a little over a year old. It's a long sad story about where we are at right now, as pointed out to me recently, a kind of a Dante's hell. I'm a loving mom with three beautiful daughters, one grown and the other two are at home with me. It is hard to make this long story short, but I'll try. I was in this relationship that went downhill fast. I began to see things in this person's(my baby's biological father)life that truly disturbed me. He has custody of three children and mentally, emotionally, and physically abuses them and it was recently found out that all three were sexually abused by a family friend. He was always telling me throughout our relationship that he could not raise his kids by himself, that he needed help. What I realized was he wanted a sexual partner, a maid, and someone to take care of his kids. Our relationship was pretty much dissolved when I found out I was pregnant. He wanted to me to give my baby up for adoption, and when I told him there was no way I would ever give up my child, he all of a sudden did an about face. He proclaimed his undying love for me and wanted to get married. When the baby was born, he changed her diaper in the hospital and wiped her so hard from back to front that she arched her back and cried. At his convenience, he made visits to see her at my home but was angry because he was not in control and constantly threatened that I was going to have to give up at least partial custody to him and I had better get used to the idea. He kept wanting to take her for periods of time and I would tell him no, she was too small. I was afraid to say that I was afraid for her safety as he is a very controlling and verbally abusive person towards me, and he had threatened to others that he was going to take me to court. His other children are so messed up from him and their mother pulling them back and forth, they are brutal to one another. I'm afraid of what they are capable of doing to my daughter. I moved out of state to protect my daughter and did not tell him as there was no law binding me to staying there. I was frightened for her safety and did what I thought was best. He got an attorney and petitioned me for full custody. I could not come back for the hearing because I had just started a new job and did not have the finances so I wrote the judge explaining my situation. I asked for a continuance and explained my fear for her safety. Also, there was an order for me to bring the baby to court which I also contested for the same reasons. To no avail, the court went on as scheduled and I was not there to represent myself, except in writing. He was given temporary custody and I have a warrant for my arrest for contmept of court. We are in a safe house right now trying to find an attorney to represent me, I've been lookin since before the trial but have not been able to find one who will work for me on a pro bono basis and some I have seen say there is no way out of turning her over to him because the decision has all ready been made. I have to believe that something can be done as my baby is in grave danger. I am a nursing mother and very much bonded to my precious child. How can this be happening? I am a mom who loves and cherishes her children and will protect them with my life. Is there someone out there who can help make this nightmare into a miracle?!!!!! I cannot fathom the thought of losing my child. To him, this is about winning and being in contol,it is not about love.

T

Tigres

I can not say about the other legal aspects, but have you contacted La Leche League? They may be able to aid in your defense as to the breastfeeding portion of your situation. Try www.lalecheleague.org. Whatever you do, don't stop nursing cold turkey even if you do have to give up your baby at some point. Buy a pump if worse comes to worse as you don't need your health to detiorate on top of your other struggles.

Sorry I couldn't be more help, but LLL should be able to help you find out what the laws in the state with jurisdiction are.

Tig

P.S. It might help others to know how long between your move to the new state and his petition in the old state. Plus which states are involved.

U

usdeeper

Here are some sites that may help in your search for pro bono attornys..
http://www.abanet.org/legalservices/probono/home.html

also,
http://www.freeandrea.org/probono.htm

It is too late now, but for anyone else reading this, you should NEVER just not show up for a court hearing. Generally you lose by default regardless of the evidence.

With all you have said, the court would never have awarded him custody.
Does the save house not have any ties to attorneys who can help ?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">