• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ex not complying with divorce decree

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sherrie

My ex husband is supposed to have a life ins. policy according to our decree. He has refused to do so. He is also supposed to pay for 2/3 of my sons camp. He refused to do that this summer. I have been in contact with my laywer about getting a wage lien (always late with support) and enforcing the ins. and camp issues. She keeps putting me off saying to wait. Well, now he's engaged and says he will get the ins. when he gets married! So far I've spent $300 in talking to her about these issues. Doesn't he have to pay my attorney fees because he is in contempt of court? What can I do about this? How can I make her do something other than ring up the bill? I am so frustrated!

U

usdeeper

He can only be ordered to pay your attorney fees by a judge in court. If you do not like your attorney, get another one.

Your attorney should have enought to file an order to show cause and petition the court to take action. I can only presume that your current attorney is waiting for something bigger to happen or more items to be added to any petition. However, why wait for him to do that, get this sorted now and have a judge slap him and he is less likely to cause problems in the future.

[This message has been edited by usdeeper (edited August 20, 2000).]

B

betteroff

Contact your local prosecutor's office. Many times they will represent you in support issues for free if the father is more than three wks in arrears. It is worth the phone call to find out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">