• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

cop did not ask for my signature on ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

ckwagner

What is the name of your state?
Georgia, incident took place in North Carolina.
The cop who ticketed me for speeding just gave me the ticket filled out correctly, however he never asked for my signature.
Is this a reason for dismissal, or any other action that can assist me in getting out of the ticket.
Thanks Chris

Shay-Pari'e

ckwagner said:
What is the name of your state?
Georgia, incident took place in North Carolina.
The cop who ticketed me for speeding just gave me the ticket filled out correctly, however he never asked for my signature.
Is this a reason for dismissal, or any other action that can assist me in getting out of the ticket.
Thanks Chris

Did the officer sign the ticket? On the ticket was it noted the violation? Was it noted the fine? Were you notified of your date in Traffic Court?

Did you know that the officer will be in traffic court with you? Challange it and good luck.

Last edited:

racer72

Your signature is needed only if you are required to appear in court. You present no other evidence that the ticket was not valid or proper.

And to Paradise, in some states, the officer is not required to appear in court.

lwpat

"Your signature is needed only if you are required to appear in court. "

There is no state that will dismiss a traffic ticket because of a failure to sign. This is true even for offenses that require a mandatory court appearance.

However I would not refuse to sign in Texas. They take you straight to jail.

My information is that North Carolina is one of the few states that will not report a minor speeding violation back to your home state. You need to check with the clerk of court or the North Carolina DMV just to be sure.

Last edited:
N

nox_freak

Ticket

Even if the ticket will not be dropped for not being sighed I’d still fight the ticket, 9 out of 10 time the tickets fine is cut to a lesser amount just for showing up in court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">