• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting Ripped Off

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DPratt

I pay what I believe is an atronomical amount of child support to my ex in PA, for our 2 sons. One is in 2nd year of college, the other is entering high school. I know the cost of living there, and there own standard of living, while comfortable, is far less than what I'm paying. But what really riles me is that she and her current husband have lots of new toys, better than anything I've ever had, and I'm sure more than they could afford on their own. What's more, they went away for 2 weeks vacation this summer but the boys had to stay home and work. IS THERE ANY WAY THAT I CAN DEMAND AN ACCOUNTING OF WHERE THE CHILD SUPPORT MONEY IS GOING? I'm sure that the support money is going to support their high life, and the kids, although not neglected, are not getting the full benefit.

LegalBeagle

No, you can not demand an account of how the money is being spent. What most NCP do not take into account is the extra cost associated with housing the children and all the little things that are needed.

The difference between having no children and housing two can be as much as an extra 1000 a month... bigger house, nicer area, bigger more realiable car etc etc etc.. the list is endless.

The other factor is that the new spouse's income is not brought into the calculation. Therefore the CP may only earn $20k a year. You have to pay 600 a month child support.. BUT the new spouse may earn $150k a year and this is not facted into the calculation.

All you can do is revisit the child support guildlines and re-calculate the amount. If something has changed, or 3 years has passed since the original order, then you can put in to reduce the amount.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">