• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Custom Car Parts Search

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nox_freak

California Law

On my car I have some custom parts witch according to CA state law are not legal. My question is if a cop pulls me over and asks to look under the hood of my car do I have the right to refuse and if I do have that right what is the consequence of that action?

racer72

Sure, you have the right to refuse. The officer also has the right to detain you till a search warrant is obtained. Or more likely, have your car impounded then the officer can inspect the vehicle for a "content inventory". If the officer finds anything illegal, your busted.

N

nox_freak

Impound

How can I officer impound your car with out reason? Lets say he pulled me over for a out head light, or some other miner problem then he has no reason to impound my car. I can see him detaining me till a search warrant is obtained.

Thanks,

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">