• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

reporting abuse not confidential to children and familys

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cory wingate

I was asked questions about a family I have known for a few years that are now being investigated for child neglect. The problem is that when I talked to the case worker I was not aware that my answers were not confidential.This parent has been acussed of drugs and being with not so nice people along with abuse of her kids. This parent has my phone number and address thanks to children and familys, and has been harrassing me. I have now received a Subpoena to be a witness for both sides. I have told lawyers on both sides I will be a hostile witness. I need to know just how much I can get away with on the stand. Do I plead the 5th to all questions ? do I not remember anything? What are my rights? I live in Fla.
HELP PLEASE

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cory wingate:
I was asked questions about a family I have known for a few years that are now being investigated for child neglect. The problem is that when I talked to the case worker I was not aware that my answers were not confidential.This parent has been acussed of drugs and being with not so nice people along with abuse of her kids. This parent has my phone number and address thanks to children and familys, and has been harrassing me. I have now received a Subpoena to be a witness for both sides. I have told lawyers on both sides I will be a hostile witness. I need to know just how much I can get away with on the stand. Do I plead the 5th to all questions ? do I not remember anything? What are my rights? I live in Fla.
HELP PLEASE
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Since you are merely called as a witness, and not charged with a crime, you cannot invoke the 5th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution against "self" incrimination. Taking the 5th was set up so no one would be required to testify against themselves, and thus be convicted of a crime.

You will be placed under oath, and to say "I don't know" when, in fact, you DO know the answer to the question, is perjury - - then, at your trial, for that crime, you can invoke the 5th Amendment.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">