• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Four Wheeler/Private Property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lindeekj

A 16 year old was riding a four wheeler and flipped it, breaking his wrist. The hospital notified the town police of the accident. This accident happened on private property - right outside of city limits. The owner of the property gave his permission for him to ride on his land. The four wheeler was not registered, so the kid who owned it got a ticket - which I can understand. The police also gave the injured teenager a reckless driving ticket! Can the cops write a ticket when this happened on private property?

Shay-Pari'e

lindeekj said:
A 16 year old was riding a four wheeler and flipped it, breaking his wrist. The hospital notified the town police of the accident. This accident happened on private property - right outside of city limits. The owner of the property gave his permission for him to ride on his land. The four wheeler was not registered, so the kid who owned it got a ticket - which I can understand. The police also gave the injured teenager a reckless driving ticket! Can the cops write a ticket when this happened on private property?

Yes they can.

lindeekj

Iowa is the state...

Don't the police have to have some kind of evidence or witness as to "reckless" driving?? They didn't even go and look at the trails. Is there a certain law regarding ATV accidents on private property??

Shay-Pari'e

lindeekj said:
Iowa is the state...

Don't the police have to have some kind of evidence or witness as to "reckless" driving?? They didn't even go and look at the trails. Is there a certain law regarding ATV accidents on private property??
(QUOTE)The four wheeler was not registered, so the kid who owned it got a ticket - which I can understand. The police also gave the injured teenager a reckless driving ticket! Can the cops write a ticket when this happened on private property?(QUOTE)

The evidence is that the four wheeler was not registered.

lindeekj

iowa

re the owner's ticket:
actually, he did have a registration - but not with the ATV - STILL i do understand the ticket because of how the law reads......but how does the law read re the driver driving reckless because of no registration? Even without any knowledge of ATV's registration???

just curious.....

Shay-Pari'e

lindeekj said:
iowa

re the owner's ticket:
actually, he did have a registration - but not with the ATV - STILL i do understand the ticket because of how the law reads......but how does the law read re the driver driving reckless because of no registration? Even without any knowledge of ATV's registration???

just curious.....
But he was driving the ATV!

OK! I'm OUT!

AnyBody?

stephenk

the reckless driving ticket came about when the driver told the officer he rolled the atv while driving. It is reckless driving to roll any vehicle over.

JETX

Lets end this one.....
"The police also gave the injured teenager a reckless driving ticket! Can the cops write a ticket when this happened on private property?"
*** There is NOTHING in the Iowa Code that restricts reckless driving citations to be on public roads. Here is the code:
'321.277 Reckless driving.
Any person who drives any vehicle in such manner as to indicate either a willful or a wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property is guilty of reckless driving.
Every person convicted of reckless driving shall be guilty of a simple misdemeanor."
Source: http://www.legis.state.ia.us/IACODE/2003SUPPLEMENT/321/277.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">