• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My ex husband is taking me to court for support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

green63

I lost my job last aug. and my ex and I had agreed that I would discontinue support for our two children until I regained employment. My current husband is in the military and we have an 18month old together. We have been unable to afford child care so I have stayed home to care for him. When we went to court the last time (in ca. but I live in Wa state)the judge said that he could impose minimum wage on me which is $920 a month. I have started working part time at night so my husband can watch our son but I earn no where near $920 a month. Will the judge consider this when imposing support on me? When I was working before I was only brining home $75 a week after child support and I was living by myself, I couldn't even afford to care for myself. Now I have the added expense of paying hundrends of dollars to bring the children out of state for visits. Will any of these things be considered? If I pay my ex 25% of my current income (which is what I was paying before) It would only be like $37 a week, no where near what I was paying before. I'm stressed over this. Please give advice.

G

green63

I (mother) moved from Ca. to Wa. because my current husband is in the military.

MySonsMom

Are you saying that last Auguest you lost your job (a yr ago) and you have only found part time work within a yr? If this is the case, then your X has been VERY generous in the child support issue. You have an obligation to support those 2 kids. If you cannot afford a babysitter to work during the day, perhaps you can do what myself and many others have had to do and work opposite of your husband to avoid daycare cost. No, it's not fun..but you do what you have to do. Your child support will most likely be calculated on a full time job at minumum wage. You have had a yr to find work, that's a long time..and very generous for your X to not proceed with legal action for your support. I hope you don't feel that I am coming down on you, but you have as much of an obligation to those kids as your X. Good luck!

------------------
~MySonsMom~

G

green63

I have got a job working opposite of my husband. The reason that it has taken me so long to find work is 1. I have had to go to the state of Ca. at least once every six weeks in order to see my children, since my custody agreement wasn't set up for me living out of state. (Trust me I would have loved to stay in Ca. and contniue seeing me kids only one week every six weeks and living off of $75 a week after my support payments were made but I simply could not afford it.) and 2. My current husband is in the military and has been on deployments. While he is gone I have no one to watch our son. We have also moved from Tx. to washington and things aren't just that easy to find a job to work around his schedule. I would love nothing more than to have my children with me and to take care of them myself but things don't always work out that way. I am trying very hard to support my children but in the position I was in it was either see my kids or send them money. Sorry but I had to choose to see them.

MySonsMom

It does sound rough, and I'm sorry to hear that things are tough for your family. Regardless, you will most likely have to pay support as if you were working for minimum wage. Be prepared to pay back support for this past year as well. Good luck and God bless.

------------------
~MySonsMom~

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">