• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

teen shoplifting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sees

my daughter go caught shoplifting at a local store, i was called to pick her up from the store. she was released to me, went home and she got it good, grounded, and community service ( reffing youth soccer games) that i put to her. its been a year, i just recieved a letter from an attourney telling me to pay $100 to them or i will have to go to court, pay all court costs which will exceed the $100 they want now. my question is can they do this? they didn't arrest her, although i wish they had! they sent her home with me to handle her which is fine she is my responsibility. i enforced her punishment, it was tough at first but she got in line, now i have this hanging over my head when i thought it was taken care of. i will pay if i must, but it just doesn't seem right that they didn't take her to the police station, just sent her home with me. almost feels like a scam. do large dept. stores turn the kids that shoplift over to an attourney a year later?
thank you

divgradcurl

You didn't mention your state, but every state I am aware of has laws that allow a store to collect a fine directly from a shoplifter -- to defray the cost of security and the like. You could post your state and someone could check your state for sure, but it is most likely a valid claim, and you will either have to pay it or head to court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">