• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

IAAL, please read.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

arizona mom

How old does a child need to be, in the state of Arizona, to decide whether or not he wants to "visit" with non-custodial parent?

LegalBeagle

Since the great, and much in demand, IAAL is currently out dancing with the big booper and wearing a nice pair of cord flairs, then I, his humble grasshopper, will try to jump in and help.. :)

There is no set age (under 18) for a child to decide. In the event that a child does not want to visit the NCP, it will be up to the NCP to bring comtempt charges. When you have a hearing, the judge will listen to the reasons why the child does not want to visit. Courts do realize that they can not force a child into a car, BUT, they will be interested to ensure that the reasons have not been inprinted into the child by the CP.

They would also like to hear of any effort the CP has made to discuss this with the child and convince them to go visit.

Depending on the child, the court could order mediation and try to resolve issues that way.. but bottom line, if a child does not want to go, then there is not a lot you can do about it.. and even if you did force them, it will be hell for the NCP.

If I had to put an age on this question then I would say 12 ...

[This message has been edited by LegalBeagle (edited August 21, 2000).]

U

usdeeper

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LegalBeagle:
Since the great, and much in demand, IAAL is currently out dancing with the big booper and wearing a nice pair of cord flairs<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

booper ? THAT I would love to see :) any pictures IAAL ????

A

arizona mom

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LegalBeagle:
Since the great, and much in demand, IAAL is currently out dancing with the big booper and wearing a nice pair of cord flairs, then I, his humble grasshopper, will try to jump in and help.. :)

There is no set age (under 18) for a child to decide. In the event that a child does not want to visit the NCP, it will be up to the NCP to bring comtempt charges. When you have a hearing, the judge will listen to the reasons why the child does not want to visit. Courts do realize that they can not force a child into a car, BUT, they will be interested to ensure that the reasons have not been inprinted into the child by the CP.

They would also like to hear of any effort the CP has made to discuss this with the child and convince them to go visit.

Depending on the child, the court could order mediation and try to resolve issues that way.. but bottom line, if a child does not want to go, then there is not a lot you can do about it.. and even if you did force them, it will be hell for the NCP.

If I had to put an age on this question then I would say 12 ...

[This message has been edited by LegalBeagle (edited August 21, 2000).]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for your reply, LegalBeagle! You have been a BIG help! The reason I asked, is because every time my son (almost 13) comes back from his visits, he "begs" not to have to go anymore...he says he just has fights with his dad. I have been "making" him go anyway, because I don't need any problems where the law is concerned! :) Anyway, thanks again and take care! :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">