• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Plumbing nightmare

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pjs

I live in CA. I’ll try and keep this as brief as possible...5 weeks ago I called a local plumbing service who advertised in the yellow pages as being licensed, bonded and providing 24 hours a day, 7 days a week service, to replace my
old garbage disposal with a new one. They sent an individual out on a Friday who replaced the unit. After running my dishwasher a couple of hours later, I noticed the disposal was leaking so I called the plumbing service back and got no answer. Over the weekend I left at least 5 voice mails for them and finally got a call back on the following Monday. They sent the same individual back out to correct the problem. He came out 3 times in all and still the unit leaked. The last visit he said he had fixed the problem. 3 weeks later, on Sunday my sink backed up and I needed to have the line snaked so I called a different plumbing service who came out right away. The new plumber said part of the problem with the sink backing up was due to improper installation of the garbage disposal unit and that the first plumber had glued the pipes to prevent them from leaking (PVC pipe) and had not installed a compressor unit on the P trap so the only way he could snake the line was to cut the pipes. I had paid the first plumbing service $450.00, $80.00 of which was for the new unit the balance was installation charges. The second plumber snaked my line ($250.00) and then had to replace the piping (270.00) he did a good job and replaced the PVC pipe with copper, everything is working fine. Before I had him work on the pipes I took digital pictures and I also kept the PVC piping. I called back the first plumbing company to ask if they would refund the installation fee as they did such a poor job. They refused. I called and checked on their license and the service does have a valid plumbing license which belongs to the owner, however the individual they sent to my house is not a plumber (they confirmed this on the phone) and there are already complaints logged against this company. I have called my credit card company and asked them to send me the necessary paperwork to dispute the first charge of $450.00 (I am willing to pay them the $80.00 for the unit) I informed the first plumbing company of my intent and they got really upset and verbally abusive on the phone. I have since discovered that it is not ‘code’ in this county to glue a P trap without a compressor unit. Do I have a case for small claims court? I am only seeking to have the install charges refunded. I feel that they fraudulently misrepresented themselves in print and by charging for a licensed plumber when I did not get one, just some sort of ‘handyman’. Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you for reading my saga!

JETX

"there are already complaints logged against this company."
*** Now you know to investigate a company BEFORE you contact them.

"I have called my credit card company and asked them to send me the necessary paperwork to dispute the first charge of $450.00 (I am willing to pay them the $80.00 for the unit)"
*** There is no 'paperwork' for them to send to you. You simply explain in detail why you feel that the bill should be 'charged back' to the merchant (reversed) and send it to the credit card issuer. There are specific rights and processes that you must follow (under the FCBA). Go to:
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/credit/fcb.htm

"Do I have a case for small claims court?"
*** Based solely on the contents of your post it would appear that you have a fairly good case. However, I would wait until you have exhausted all of the other possible resolutions, including:
- Charge-back on credit card, and
- Formalizing your complaint in WRITING (certified RRR) to the owner of the company giving him/her the chance (5 business days?) to correct the problem, and
- Possibly considering filing a complaint with your local/state licensing agency.

P

pjs

Victory is mine!!

Thanks to the excellent advice and the links you guys gave me I am happy to report that I just got all of my money refunded (less $100.00 for the unit) which I think is fair enough. I sent them a letter (certified RRR) stating that unless we could come to a fair settlement within 5 business days from receipt of the letter that I intended to pursue legal actions against them to recover monies and also that I had contacted the credit card company to have the whole charge disputed and charged back to them and that I had contacted the State of California Contractor's Licensing Board with the intension of filing a complaint against them. Just opened my mail and voila! there was a check from them. I just wanted to share that with you and express my sincere gratitute for your guidence and advice. Thank you both again!

JETX

pjs said:
Thanks to the excellent advice and the links you guys gave me I am happy to report that I just got all of my money refunded (less $100.00 for the unit) which I think is fair enough. Thank you both again!
Of course, you're welcome..... and congratulations.

Now, since you have been a recipient of a 'random act of kindness', you need to go out and help someone else.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">