• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

forged power of attorney

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jasminesmomma

I recently discovered in my husbands desk a forged document making him my power of attorney. He had forged my signature as well as the 2 witnesses signatures and had used a friends notary stamp (the man owns a car lot and leaves it lay on his desk). I found another paper that makes me think he used this power of attorney to take a second mortgage on our home. He claims he just did the power of attorney "in case anything ever happens to me" and that he has never used it. He has in the past stolen checks from myself and my daughter and written them to himself for cash, and he has used my credit information to obtain credit cards, but to my knowledge this is the first time he has done something so blatantly illegal. I need to know how to negate this power of attorney. Do I need to get a lawyer and petition the courts? What kind of charges/penalties might he face for doing this? Also, I don't want to appear paranoid but can a man take out life insurance on his wife without her knowledge or consent (ie if he has a power of attorney...).
Thank you so much for any help you can give me. I don't know why he has done this but I'm afraid I may be in danger- either physically or at least financially!

T

Tigres

If you honestly believe you are in danger (one way or the other) then I would seriously recommend removing yourself from the marriage. There is NO reason to stay if you feel your husband is that unstable and/or unreliable. Because of the power of attorney and your stated fears, I would not recommend having a do it yourself divorce or separation. Get a lawyer immediatly.

On the other hand, I only recently found out there was an insurance policy on me. It was drawn up by my grandparents and I didn't know about it at all. I don't think it is only spouses that can insure another person with out them knowing. For instance, I fully intend to insure my ex just in case something should happen to him. I do not know if he has a policy, I am sure that if he does, that someone else will be given custody of the account. It is just safer to be prepared.

Tig

P.S. If you do choose to stay, see a lawyer anyway to find out what to do about the power of attorney. Such a thing can be useful in case of an accident or illness on your partners part, but it should not be obtained illegally! And it should have the restriction of both a time limit and special circumstances. What is the power of attorney for anyway?

MySonsMom

So someone can have an insurance policy on someone without them knowing about it?

------------------
~MySonsMom~

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">