• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

It nitrous oxide legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CivilRightsRebel

I live in Michgian and am part of a fairly large car club. A few members were complaining saying that the police were harrassing them for having a nitrous oxide system installed on their vehicle. Some police officers went to the extent of saying to them that it was flat out illegal to have on a street vehicle.

I was hoping you could provide some clarification to this?

I know there are laws regarding transporting hazardous materials. However nitrous oxide is NOT flammable, but it is highly compressed (usually around 900psi). I can see why the police may try to scare people into thinking it were illegal to try and prevent them from using it on the street.

But my real question is, is it illegal to just have the system installed on the vehicle? Or can you receive any type of ticket for having it installed in the vehicle?

Thanks.

JETX

A cursory review of the Michigan Code could not find where it specifically prohibits non-inhalant use of an NOS (Nitrous Oxide System) on a vehicle; however, I did find a claim that "Street Use of nitrous oxide on a vehicle is illegal in most states, including Michigan".
Source: http://www.detnews.com/2004/autosconsumer/0403/10/g03-80561.htm

I would suggest you contact one of the local distributors of NOS systems in your state and ask them. If they tell you it is perfectly legal, be sure to get it in writing.

divgradcurl

In California, Nitrous Oxide is illegal on any "pollution-controlled motor vehicle" -- I know you live in Michigan, but I bring this up to point out that although JETX couldn't find a specific section in the Code making nitrous illegal, there may be another regulatory agency (air quality folks, for example) that has outlawed the use of nitrous in Michigan.

I do run nitrous in my Vette, but it's old enough to not be a "pollution-controlled motor vehicle" in California...

n_and

divgradcurl

This has nothing to do with the law, but I'm a 'car fan', so I just have to say...
An old corvette with NOS? SWEET. What year is your vette? It must be such a nice car. I'm jealous!! :)

S

s-y

What is the name of your state? WA

i too am a big car enthusiast....

a couple of my buddies have nitrous installed on their rides and from what i have gathered from them (which they too have run into the same problem as you) having nitrous installed in your car and having a bottle present is NOT illegal on a street car HOWEVER, USING it on the street is illegal. i believe nitrous oxide systems website has a FAQ regarding this very same matter you might want to check there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">