• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Husband's EX wants MY money too.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bgentry

My husband's ex lives in Canada. She has convinced the courts that MY business is his. I refused to send any documents. (I was not marred to her and do not want her to know my personal stuff.) I have had the business since before I was married but she keeps stating that he derives an income from it. In agruments to set child support she also keeps referring to his "Gross Income" to exaggerate the picture. The Canadian court has ordered my husband to turn over "MY" business documents and tax returns, but I refused. They did not order me and have not asked me for anything. I feel it is none of her business who I do business with, where I own stock, and how much I donate to charities, just to name a few. I have no ties here and would like to move to a state that is not reciprocal to Canada. This is the tip of the iceburg of problems I have gotten from this person, but to keep from "preaching from the soap box", I would appreciate any advise.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Well, you're one, smart, cookie. You're correct to believe that you don't have to turn over any documents "that belong only to you." Canada has no jurisdiction over you; albeit, has no jurisdiction in the United States at all. No State is "reciprocal" with Canada, as each country and State has it's own sovereignty rights. However (and there's always one of those), the Canadian court can make life difficult for your husband since the child lives there. Their final decision, based upon your rights to business privacy, could have a major impact on visitation and support. So, you have a "balancing act" to do . . . turn over your documents, or watch from the sidelines as the Canadian courts dump on your husband's rights. But, when it comes right down to it, and even though you're married to him, doesn't mean that your life is an "open book" because of his problems. If it means that much to you, stand up for your rights to privacy, and tell your husband he's going to have to figure out another way to deal with "his" situation and not drag you into it merely because you're married to him.

The vows were to love, honor and cherish - - not to turn over my business life.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

B

bgentry

IAAL,
Thanks, I have been reading some of the postings and seems you help a lot of people with advise and opinions. I will continue to hold my stand.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">