• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Restaurant problem.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

TC123

I need some help, not sure what to do. Went to Easter Brunch and had to guarantee the reservation with a credit card. We paid in cash but when my credit card bill came in there was a charge for the brunch on it. No, did not save my receipt. Called the restaurant and they are saying that we skipped out on the check and did not pay. They say that their computer shows that the bill was not printed out until 4:30 that afternoon so there was no way the waiter gave us the bill. The waiter not only gave us a bill but we had to wait for change. I am waiting for the general manager to call me now, but I am thinking I will have to contact someone else to help with this. Should I contact the police or a lawyer or better business bureau. Any ideas would be appreciated! Thank you

djohnson

Without a receipt there isn't much you can do. You can however contact your credit card company and refute the charge. See what the manager says and go from there.

K

krispenstpeter

This is a very widespread scam from SOME in the restaurant/hotel/motel business. When a reservation is secured by credit card and then the bill is paid in cash, you MUST keep the reciept because, often times, the server and/or clerk will simply pocket the money then run the card as if nothing has happened.

What you must do is secure a copy of the credit card reciept and compare the signatures. By all means, contact the credit card company and dispute the charges and also contact the police for an investigation.

I have seen this scam work too much to think this was a simple mistake.

T

TC123

There is no signature on the receipt. They just ran it through because they thought we skipped out on the bill!

K

krispenstpeter

Then you are in deep doo-doo.

Of course, if you never signed the reciept and you have WITNESSES who saw you pay the bill in cash, then it's up to the restaurant to prove that the bill is legitimate.

And that is between your credit card company and the restaurant.

At any rate, dispute the damn bill, speak with a local attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">