• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

In Good Faith

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

collections_dep

About a month ago, we had to lay off one of our workers. We knew he would be hired back in 6-8 weeks - he also knew it. He asked for a "loan" until his unemployment checks started, at which time he would begin to repay the loan. He has decided to go to work for another company. Attempts to contact him regarding his repayment intentions have been met with hostility by his live-in girlfriend.
The check was cut from our accounts payable and we have a copy of the cancelled check. Is there some way to recover this loan? Would this be a Small Claims issue?
I've vowed to beat the person that agreed to this (without having the former employee sign anything) if he EVER does this again!
Thanks in advance for your help!

JETX

Of course, your only option to force payment if he refuses is to proceed with legal action. However, your post implies that the contacts to date have been by phone (and intercepted by his girlfriend). I would suggest you send him a letter (certified RRR) requesting repayment of the loan. And if he still doesn't pay, then you will also have the letter and receipt of delivery to 'bolster' your case.

C

collections_dep

NJ
Yes, thanks, I had already planned on an RRR - I forgot to mention it before I hit the button... :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">