• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illegal use on my credit card

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

maxwell86

Last April, I found $700 of online charges on my VISA. After an investigation by the Police in my SC county, we found that the IP address, and delivery address mapped to my Ex g/f's home. (Note that I was about to file a custody suit against her for my infant son after she refused to allow me to see him and I discovered very upsetting things about her past that she hid.) The local Police said there was enough to arrest her on the misdemeanor and also get her on the felony <?> Identity theft also. However they had to transfer the case to my Ex's county Sheriff's office who has done nothing. Since my VISA card compnay covered my loss, the online store (Amazon) is out the $ and did send a letter to the Police saying they wanted full prosecution. After talking to the Sheriff, he told me since I was not out of the $ anymore, that I was not involved. When I asked about pressing charges for the ID theft, he indicated that he didn't want his office being used for family-type confrontations (implying that this was related to my custody suit). I didn't want to argue with him so I left it at that. (BTW - Ex has histody of similiar activity - her fav is to rent expensive things then move away taking them with her - they never pursue her as its too expensive to cross state lines and she changes IDs anyway.)

My question is doesn't law enforcement have an obligation to enforce these laws especially if the victim<?> desires it? Can't I press for these charges?

Oh, after our first temp hearing shortly after this incident I was awarded joint custody of my son and now I have sole custody of him!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">