• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

3rd time asking for advice please

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

Ester

Hello! I am from La, CA and i have raised my son for 12 years. My husband abandon us when he was only 12 years old. I raised him through out of his life because I cannot find my husband. Now that I finally found him after all those years can I still file for child support eventhough my son is an adult. I divorced just this January , is this will have an effect on the child support if I file? Please help me I am to old and weak to think of my problems. I just work in a warehouse and my check is not enough for us. My son is still attending college. Oh! please help me. There was no court order on this issue. My son told to file for child support. Because he left us and then went to the Phillippines fo awhile.
Till we found that he's been back for a long time and trying to hide from us. Please I need some advice. Thank you.

Z

Zoobie

Ester,

I does'nt hurt to try. Ive heard of cases where they went back and charged the missing parent for all those years of back support. Try calling a legal aid found in the phone book, or just go to a court house and tell them what you want to do, file a petition for child support, they should be helpful in getting you the forms you need.

Good Luck!

B

betteroff

Ester
It is my understanding as long as you still have that child at home and he is still going to school you can go after the father for child support owed. You can file it yourself at the courts, or if your income qualifies you you should be able to get legal aid. You could also call your local prosecutors office and ask them any questions you have and they can direct you to some help.
Good Luck

E

Ester

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Zoobie:
Ester,

I does'nt hurt to try. Ive heard of cases where they went back and charged the missing parent for all those years of back support. Try calling a legal aid found in the phone book, or just go to a court house and tell them what you want to do, file a petition for child support, they should be helpful in getting you the forms you need.

Good Luck!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you so much.

E

Ester

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by betteroff:
Ester
It is my understanding as long as you still have that child at home and he is still going to school you can go after the father for child support owed. You can file it yourself at the courts, or if your income qualifies you you should be able to get legal aid. You could also call your local prosecutors office and ask them any questions you have and they can direct you to some help.
Good Luck
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you for your reply and advice, I appreciate it.

LegalBeagle

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Zoobie:
Ive heard of cases where they went back and charged the missing parent for all those years of back support.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This only works if there was an original court order in place. Ie, court order to pay $100 a month when the child is born. Father disappears and is found 18 years later. That person is then liable for 18 x 12 x $100 plus interest. Plus, any govenment money that was used to support the child.

LegalBeagle

Generally, and I state that as I am not an expert in CA law.. you can file backwards for up to 3 years if there was no order in place. I do not 'think' that CA allows for compulsary college support.. so if your son is currently 24 I am not sure if you can get any back support.. the fact that he abandoned you might give any case some weight..

First thing to do is to contact a few attorneys in your area. They generally give you a few minutes free consultation and might be able to answer your question correctly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">