• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

36 in a 35

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

chucksenough

I was taking a friend to a funeral yesterday and I got pulled over for doing 49 in a 35. (wv) I have been pulled over 5 times in my brief 4 year driving carrer so I have devolped a touch with an officer to be really honest and they usually respect and reward that. It ended up that the officer wrote me a citation for 36 in a 35 because he understood "you have a family function you are going to" aka funeral and that "I was honest with him" he wrote 49 really small above the 36 I guess to warn me not to fight it or something? I don't want to fight it cause I know I was speeding but I do want the fine reduced cause the fine is going to be 140! just for one mph over the speedlimit. Is there anything I can do? Thanks

HomeGuru

chucksenough said:
I was taking a friend to a funeral yesterday and I got pulled over for doing 49 in a 35. (wv) I have been pulled over 5 times in my brief 4 year driving carrer so I have devolped a touch with an officer to be really honest and they usually respect and reward that. It ended up that the officer wrote me a citation for 36 in a 35 because he understood "you have a family function you are going to" aka funeral and that "I was honest with him" he wrote 49 really small above the 36 I guess to warn me not to fight it or something? I don't want to fight it cause I know I was speeding but I do want the fine reduced cause the fine is going to be 140! just for one mph over the speedlimit. Is there anything I can do? Thanks

**A: admit your guilt and pay the fine. How many moving violations total have you gotten in the last 4 years?

C

chucksenough

Re:

I have recieved a 64 in a 55 when I was 16 and now I'm 19... a little over 3 years ago. Then 3 weeks ago I recived a ticket for going 69 in a 55 but I wanted to contest it however after I faxed my little request for a hearing they relized that they did not have a copy of the ticket at the office and tryed to tell me to fax a copy in and send to more in the mail... they claimed the officer of course had his copy but I had four and one wasn't ncr it was a thick piece of paper and the bottom said "officer copy" I talked to a lawyer friend about it and he told me that by requesting a hearing I did what I was legally covered and that I should just sit on my hands. So it's been 3 weeks and I've not herd anything so I don't think this will ever go on my record so best they know I have one ticket for 64 in a 55. If I request a hearing and plea guilty could I request the fine reduced possibly? I'm really scared to request a hearing less they throw the book at me for doing 49.

I

Intellijen

You can request a fine reduction, certainly. Whether or not it is granted is a completely different story.
Pay your fine. It's only 140.00. And slow down.

R

Ramoth

The reason the officer wrote "49" really small over the 36 on your ticket was so that if you try to fight the ticket (after all, if you were only doing 1 mile over the limit, it's obvious the cop was just trying to hit quota, right?) the officer can say "Well, Your Honor, he was actually doing 49, but I thought I'd cut him a break since he was on his way to a funeral". That's not going to look too good to the judge.

Pay the fine.

C

chucksenough

Obviously I am not going to show up in court and try to fight the whole thing because unlike most people request advice on here I KNOW I'm guilty but if I show up and say guilty off the top they aren't going to throw the book at me. Is this correct? I'm thinking if I just go to court and say guilty could I just request a fine reduction? I mean would they deny that and put the speed back up to 49 even if I say I'm guilty off the top? Thanks for the help ya'll.

C

chucksenough

Also does anyone know if this would carry any points in WV?

C

chucksenough

if anyone cares I paid my 140 fine with no points since it was under 5 over... be easy folks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">