• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Name Change

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

wlanding

I have been trying to get my name changed (to my maiden name) at work but they will not allow it unless I have my divorce decree...which won't come until the start of the new school year. It was my impression that anyone can change their name so long as it is not for fraudulent purposes. Any suggestions???? How can they keep me from taking my original name? :mad:

JETX

"It was my impression that anyone can change their name so long as it is not for fraudulent purposes."
*** You're 'impression' is incorrect. When you changed your name after the marriage, that became your 'new' and correct legal name. You cannot just 'change' it without legal process.

"Any suggestions????"
*** Only the obvious....wait.

"How can they keep me from taking my original name?"
*** Very simply.

R

Ramoth

Also, your employer may require you to show them that you've had your name changed on your Social Security card before changing the name on your payroll records.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">