• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto Repair Shop has car 6+mo. not returning calls

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

esurkj

I let a neighbors uncle repair my vehicle that owns his own repair shop. He gave me a quote and asked for money to be paid up front. So far I have paid him $1900. I gave him the car 10/03 and they are still making up excuses to why it has not been complete yet. The last time I spoke with them they said they would call back the next day with an estimated time of completion, that was 4/15/04 and I have still not heard from them after 2 weeks of leaving them messages. I have had to rent a car to get my child to school over the past couple months because we moved. Please help me, I am at my wits end and can not afford the car rental anymore.
:confused:

BL

You don't state what State you're in .

Anyways, you could get the Police and retrieve your car, the sue them in small claims, or make a Complaint with you DMV Main Office about the repair Facility .

Call the DMV see what they say . You could get faster results in small claims though .

E

esurkj

Thank you for your advise.

Sorry about the state, I am new to this forum.

I am located in Illinois. Is it difficult to go through small claims court? Do I have case for this? It sounds like this person has gone through this a few times before.
Also, my car is undrivable. They are replacing the Heads so the entire top half of my engine is removed. I would probably have to front that money I suppose, just more cost out of pocket.

JETX

Blonde is incorrect. The police will NOT intervene in what is clearly a civil matter.

I suggest you quit being 'lazy' about this and start formalizing the problem. Start by writing the business a letter (sent certified RRR) and politely DEMAND your vehicle repairs be completed and the vehicle returned to you within a reasonable time (10 days??).

Then, if the vehicle is NOT repaired and returned, go to your local small claims court and file against the OWNER of the shop for the current 'market value' of the vehicle, plus costs incurred.

JETX

Blonde is incorrect. The police will NOT intervene in what is clearly a civil matter.

I suggest you quit being 'lazy' about this and start formalizing the problem. Start by writing the business a letter (sent certified RRR) and politely DEMAND your vehicle repairs be completed and the vehicle returned to you within a reasonable time (10 days??).

Then, if the vehicle is NOT repaired and returned, go to your local small claims court and file against the OWNER of the shop for the current 'market value' of the vehicle, plus costs incurred.

"Is it difficult to go through small claims court?"
*** No.

"Do I have case for this?"
*** Yes.

Hell, for $1900 you could have had a NEW engine installed!! You should NOT have to pay more.

E

esurkj

Thank you Jetx.

I will write a letter today and send it certified mail as you recommended. It seems to help set up the beginning of my case against him.

Do you feel the Better Business Bureau be able to help with this matter? I was thinking about contacting them anyway just to make his life as difficult as mine.

Thank you again.

esurkj

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">