• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CrimeInDallasVictimInNashvillePerpInPhoenix

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

williamlove

Suppose a 26 year old man currently living in Nashville TN was victimized by a man in Dallas Texas ten years ago in 1993 when he was 15. The man who victimized me was an adult then, and is now living in Phoenix. The two have maintained a well-documented close relationship. But now the man living in Nashville wants to press charges against the man in Phoenix for molesting him (in Dallas back in 1993). Does he have a chance, and does the fact that he's taken trips and exchanged lots of friendly calls and letters since the crime affect his chances? :confused:

n_and

The thing with molestation and rape cases is, you need to go to the hospital ASAP to be examined. Any evidence of his molesting you would simply be your word against his. The fact that there has been friendly communication between the two of you affects your case in the sense that, this man could say you are angry at him, and trying to get him in trouble. All you have is your word that he did this to you, 10 years ago, and friendly communication up to this point.

I'm sorry, but honestly, no, I don't think you can press charges.

JETX

"Does he have a chance"
*** Of course there may be a 'chance'. However, based on your post, it would be somewhere between VERY, VERY slim and VERY slim. However, since there has been an ongoing 'communication' between them, it would be VERY unlikely that the authorities (or civil court) could be convinced that this is a 'recently discovered' violation. And without that 'recent discovery', the SOL has long expired on the charges.

Last edited:
W

williamlove

Okay, thanks, a question though...

I guess I figured this is the way it is. The counceling group I'm in are the ones pushing for it. They say I have PTSD and all that. Anyway, I want to at least know something...my uncle has saved all our emails in a big Word document. He copies and pastes the whole thing including the header (I've seen him). Putting aside the slim chances, I'm just curious, would that hold up in court as proof of our correspondence? :rolleyes:
Thanks a lot for your consideration and help.

W

williamlove

One more question...

I'm sorry but I forgot to ask something I'm dying to know. When you hear about these priests and other getting convicted years later and all that, how do they get convicted in a typical case? How do the victims overcome the problems you mentioned that would affect my case (I realize the freindly contact I've had is one difference)? And what is the SOL that is lost by my having been in contact?
Thanks again... :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">