• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1st offense public indecency

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mndtrp

1st offense public indecency - Update

What is the name of your state? Colorado

Hi, I was hoping someone could help me. My girlfriend and I were caught in the bathroom at Dave and Busters. We are both 23, and neither of us have had trouble with the law before. We both were given court summons for early June.
Is there anything we need to do before going to court? Do we need to get a lawyer for this, or will we just have to pay a fine? The laws state that a jail sentence could be imposed, from 0 to 6 months. I would like to stay away from that, it doesn't sound like a good time.
Thanks for any help,
Greg

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

What is the name of your state?
mndtrp said:
What is the name of your state? Colorado

Hi, I was hoping someone could help me. My girlfriend and I were caught in the bathroom at Dave and Busters. We are both 23, and neither of us have had trouble with the law before. We both were given court summons for early June.
Is there anything we need to do before going to court? Do we need to get a lawyer for this, or will we just have to pay a fine? The laws state that a jail sentence could be imposed, from 0 to 6 months. I would like to stay away from that, it doesn't sound like a good time.
Thanks for any help,
Greg

My response:

What does, "My girlfriend and I were caught in the bathroom at Dave and Busters" mean? Please be as specific and as graphic as you can.

IAAL

M

mndtrp

Unfortunately, there isn't anything graphic. Didn't even get a chance to get graphic. Sorry for not having a better story.

M

mndtrp

Well, since neither one of us had tried this before, nor thought it out, we were just trying to figure out the best way to accomplish anything other than falling over. Gotta give props to security there, damn were they on top of the situation. Sadly, I wasn't on top of anything.
Maybe the problem was we were in the girls restroom . . .

C

coosi

COLORADO

18-7-302 - Indecent exposure.

(1) A person commits indecent exposure if he knowingly exposes his genitals to the view of any person under circumstances in which such conduct is likely to cause affront or alarm to the other person.

(2) (a) Indecent exposure to a person fifteen years of age or older is a class 3 misdemeanor.

(b) Indecent exposure to a child under the age of fifteen years is a class 2 misdemeanor.

(3) A second offense of the offense described in paragraph (b) of subsection (2) of this section following the conviction for any such offense is a class 1 misdemeanor.

(4) Any subsequent offense of the offense described in paragraph (b) of subsection (2) of this section following a second conviction for any such offense is a class 6 felony.

K

krispenstpeter

Well, since neither one of us had tried this before, nor thought it out, we were just trying to figure out the best way to accomplish anything other than falling over. Gotta give props to security there, damn were they on top of the situation. Sadly, I wasn't on top of anything.
Next time try the men's restroom. You sit on the tiilet (seat and cover down) and she straddles you face to face.

Works like a charm and you even get applause when you're done :D

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

I love a good, touching, emotional and romantic love story. You know, the ones that include toilets, urine and crap smells.

He says: "Hey baby - - let's go make that baby we've always wanted in the restaurant bathroom."

She says: "You want me to suck what????"

Now, doesn't that bring a tear to your eye?

IAAL

JETX

As expected 'Coosi' quoted the wrong law......
Here is the correct one:
"18-7-301. Public indecency.
(1) Any person who performs any of the following in a public place or where the conduct may reasonably be expected to be viewed by members of the public commits public indecency:
(a) An act of sexual intercourse; or
(b) An act of deviate sexual intercourse; or
(c) A lewd exposure of the body done with intent to arouse or to satisfy the sexual desire of any person; or
(d) A lewd fondling or caress of the body of another person.
(2) Public indecency is a class 1 petty offense.

M

mndtrp

Yeah, I read the parts stating what the law means. I was wondering if it would just end up being a fine at this point in time.

As far as the other helpful tips, the door was locked and we had gotten to the point of sitting down as described. It was also thought that the womens would smell better than the mens, which it did. Thinking back, a dive bar would have been a better idea. Interestingly enough, they didn't say I wasn't welcome to come back.

JETX

mndtrp said:
I was wondering if it would just end up being a fine at this point in time.
Possible sentence:
"18-1.3-501. Misdemeanors classified - penalties.
(1) Misdemeanors are divided into three classes which are distinguished from one another by the following penalties which are authorized upon conviction except as provided in subsection (1.5) of this section:
Class 1:
Minimum Sentence: six months imprisonment or five hundred dollars fine, or both
Maximum Sentence: eighteen months imprisonment or five thousand dollars fine, or both"
<snip>

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Boy, talk about being "screwed" (metaphorically speaking, of course).

I wonder if our writer and his girlfriend know how to make license plates? :D

IAAL

M

mndtrp

Well, I spoke with an ex-officer that I work with, and he conveniently used to work in the city I was attempting to enjoy. He said that I'll probably go up to a city DA, and he will give us our punishment. He said more than likely it will be a fine and 6 months probation. I also found out I have free legal counsel with the company I work for, so I'll be giving them a call today.

I'll come back after court, which is the day after my birthday in June (good timing, I guess), and let you guys know what happened.

Thanks for the help. And for the ones with the tips on how to have better gone about it, I don't think it'll happen again. Kind of a spur of the moment thing, and would probably not have been as much fun as it was once thought. Although, the officer that wrote us up did state that if we had done it in the car, all we would have received was a warning.

Maybe I should have thanked him for that bit of info . . .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">