• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

living together/common law rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hopeful

i am feeling very hopeless, and need help.i have lived with this person for 7 yrs, and we had the intent to marry but something always cameup, but i was a mother to his son, from 5th grade and the phiscal care giver, to now.12th grade. i was his wife in every way,but trusting him no matter what.i do chores, feed bottle calves (30)ata time, pulled pigs, everthing, i paid all the bills, as he didnot want me to get anoutside job the first 4 yrs,i wrote all his checks , signing his name for 7 yrs, as he had told me he had made me power of attorney, and more or less made me do all his banking, business deals, i can not tell you one thing i did not do as his wife and sons mother, school conferences, school reg, all of it. but we never had a checking acct together, as he said we did not need one because i could write his checks,i have wrote his chec to his banker(which is a very small town bank)for loans i have called his banker to see if we biught baby calves,he would be loaned the money , and told yes, the farm is in his name only, as it was because`in case he had to go bankr, he could put it in mine`.i have farm tax credit forms that i had to get for him at the court house, and had to be his wife to get, and he told me to sign as his wife mrs.his name.about 3 months ago he and the son started verbally abusing me , and he was treating me really bad, i found out he had been seeing another woman, when i finally confronted him about it he said`(a dirty name) and `we don`t need tyou anymore, son is almost out of school and can take care of him self,and the farm has no chores and the goverment is paying me not to palnt, and i found some one younger and better, and i want you to pack and get out!i was in total shock, and started crying, he then left bruises all over me, i filed a report, but he left on his own and never came back, i did not hear from him or see him for 8 days, he went by the house on the 9 th day and made obscen jester at me, so i put a restraining order on him.i went to the abuse hearing, and was totally treated like i was the abusier, and he was the abused, as there was no hearing, my laywer, who is no longer, never looked at any thing i had, as proof of abuse, or of all the factual proof of being a mother and a wife, he ask me to bring in any checks that i had of jims, and when i answered him, he would go to the door way and repeat everthing i said to him to, my abuisers lawyer. then he said the abuse hearing has been posponed until next monday, today we will deal with he( called the abuiser by name( his charges he filed on you! and one of them was he was no way married to me common law or other wise, and i would get nothing as i had shelter, and i forged his name on all his checks! my god, i was numb, i had never even knew this person in 7 yrs, and his son ws following his dads every move. my lawyer said i had nothing i could do about it, and could not get anything,even a small settlement for those 7 yrs, and because the son would start his last yr of school in a few days, (he will be 18 in 5 weeks) the cour twould tell me to move! this was my lawyer i had given 750.00 retainer to to defend me, i left there thinking about how i should just put a gun to my head, the whole thing has been a nightmare.but i need to know any answers i can get, as my abuse hearing was postponed to help the abusier abuse me , more. this is the truth every word. i need help. linda

Z

Zoobie

What State are you in? If it is a state that recognizes common law marriage (living together for 7 years continuously is considered a common law marriage in CT) then you are legally married and entitled to anything any other married folk are enitled to. You need a better lawyer honey.

Good luck!

Z

Zoobie

What State are you in? If it is a state that recognizes common law marriage (living together for 7 years continuously is considered a common law marriage in CT) then you are legally married and entitled to anything any other married folk are enitled to. You need a better lawyer honey.

Perhaps you could get someone at the school or the bank to testify that you did wifely duties????

Good luck!

H

hopeful

I LIVE IN THE STATE OF IOWA, AND AMGOING THRU A NIGHTMARE, I HAVE LIVED WITH MY COMMON LAW HUSBAND FOR 7 YRS, AND HE IS SAYING WE WERE NEVER COMMON LAW. I RAISE HIS SON FROM THE AGE OF 5TH GRAD, AGE 10 AND LOVE HIM LIKE MY OWN.I HAVE BEEN WRITTING ALL THE CHECKS FOR BILLS AND ANYTHING, AS HE WILL NOT DO IT AND SAID IN 1994 HE PUT MY NAME IN HIS ACCOUNT AS POWER OF ATTORNEY, BUT 7 YRS LATER I LEARNED HE LIED ABOUT THAT ,TO.I HAVE BEEN WITH HIM SINCE BEFORE HE BOUGHT THE FARM WE LIVE ON AND WORK TOGETHER, HE SAID WE WOULD NOT MARRY YET CASE WE HAD TO GO BANKRUPT, AND COULD PUT IT IN MY NAME.I HAVE BEEN HIM AND HIS SON, COOK , NURSE DRIVER AND EVRY SERVICE THAT A WOMAN CAN DO FOR A MAN THAT A WIFE DOES, AND EVERY SERVICE THAT AMOTHER CAN DO FOR HER OWN CHILD. MY QUESTION IS THIS , BECAUSE I THOUGHT I HAD POWER OF ATTORNY TO SIGN HIS NAME TO HIS CHECKS,AND I HAVE PD THE PRESIDENT OF OUR SMALL TOWN BANK LOAN PAYMENTS SIGING `HIS` NAME IN FRONT OF HIM, AND HE TREATED ME LIKE I HAD THE POWER TO DO IT, THAT IS WHY I NEVER QUESTIONED , THAT `HE` HAD GIVEN THE BANK POWER OF ATTORNEY.I HAD A S.S INCOME AS I HAD TO HAVE BOTH MY HIPS REPLACE, AND JIM KNEW THIS FOR THE FIRST 3 YRS, AND LET ME PUT IT IN THE FARM, BUT THEN HE WAS EITHER GIVING ALL THE PROFITS TO HIMSELF OR HIS SON, WHICH I HAD NO PROBLEM WITH BUT I WAS THERE FEEDONG 30 BABY BOTTLE CALVES AT 5 EVERY MORNING UNTIL THE WERE WEANED FOR 4 YRS, AND SAVING THEM IN THE WINTER TIME, AND PULLING PIGS, BUT AFER THE FIRST 5 YRS JIM STARTED TREATING ME LIKE IT WAS MY WAY OF PAYING FOR RENT! AND I HAD BEEN SO EMOTIONAL, PHYSCIALLY AND VERBALEIY ABUSED I COULD NOT THINK STRAIGHT OR CARED ABOUT WHAT WAS FAIR FOR ME.IN OWA, COMMON LAW REQUIRMENTS ARE, CONSTANT LIVING TOGETHER. PRESENTING OURSELFS AS MARRIED, AND INTENT AND AGREMENT TO BE MARRIED, AND I CAN VERY EASILY PROVE ALL THESE, BUT MY LAWYER SAID I HAVE TO PROVE IT ALSO WITH THESE THINGS TOGETHER, CHECKING ACCT, CREDIT CARDS, INS POLICY, OR MY NAME BEING ON PROPETY WE BOUGHT TO GETHER, AND I HAVE FARM SIGN UP FOR FARM CREDIT TAX THAT I WAS SENT TO GET BY HIM, AND I HAD TO SIGN AS HIS WIFE AND ALL THE SCHOOL TEACHERS THINKING I WAS THE SONS STEP MOTHER, THE SON FOR 5,6,7 GRADES TELLING TEACHERS WE WERE MARRIED OR WERE GETTING MARRIED, I HAVE PROOF BUT MY LAWYER WILL NOT EVEN LOOK AT IT , AND KEEPS GOING BACK TO PROOF OF WHAT I PD DURING THE SEVEN YRS OR THE CREDIT CARDS AND OTHER.MY FAMILY OF 7 YRS IS GONE I HAVE NOTHING, THE SON IS IN HIS LAST YR OF SCHOOL, THE FARM GROUND ID IN GOVERMENT LAND AND HE WILL GET A CHECK FOR THAT, AND HE HAS NO CHORES ANYMORE , ANT HE WENT OUT AND FOUND SOMEONE YOUNGER PRETTIER AND HE WANTED A HELL OF A LOT MORE THAN ME, AND FOR ME TO PACK AND GET OUT. WITHOUT O, BECAUSE I CAN NOT PROVE COMMOM LAW MARRIAGE TO HIM, THE SON AS TURNED INTO HIS FATHER AND SAY WERBAL TNINGS TO ME NOW THAT HURT MORE THAN ALL OF THIS, BECAUSE I GAVE MY LOVE MY LIFE THE 7 YRS TO GIVE HIM THE MOM HE NEEDED SO MUCH , MY LAWYER KEEPS TELLING ME HE CAN GET ME FOR FORGERY AND SAY I HAD NO RIGHT TI SIGN HIS NAME ON HIS CHECKS, AND I CQAN NOT PROVE A BINDING CONTRACT OF COMMON LAW MARRIAGE WITH OUT , ACCTS TOGETHER, OR RESTATE, OR INS. IS THIS TRUE, PLEASE HELP ME. LINDA IN IOWA

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">