• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ehh, lawsuit..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dura necessitas

What is the name of your state? New York.
Need advice on the following:
I have been served with a lawsuit claiming Breach of Contract, Libel and Business Defamation, Tortious Interference with Contractual Relations and Tortious Interference with Plaintiff's Prospective Economic Advantage. Whew. My whole life I thought that "tortious" was a turtle of some sort.. :) I have to respond to the suit in a few days (I have been looking incesivelly for a good atty since I have been served) but would like to ask for an extension. Does it usually look "bad" for the defendant if you ask for an extension to answer to a suit? Also, can I ask for the extension myself or does it have to be done through an atty? Thanks in advance.

HomeGuru

Dura necessitas said:
What is the name of your state? New York.
Need advice on the following:
I have been served with a lawsuit claiming Breach of Contract, Libel and Business Defamation, Tortious Interference with Contractual Relations and Tortious Interference with Plaintiff's Prospective Economic Advantage. Whew. My whole life I thought that "tortious" was a turtle of some sort.. :) I have to respond to the suit in a few days (I have been looking incesivelly for a good atty since I have been served) but would like to ask for an extension. Does it usually look "bad" for the defendant if you ask for an extension to answer to a suit? Also, can I ask for the extension myself or does it have to be done through an atty? Thanks in advance.

**A: any attorney can file an answer to the complaint with a general denial to each count. After that look for a good one to take the case.

stephenk

contact the plaintiff's attorney to request an extension to answer the complaint. if the attorney agrees, confirm the agreement with a letter.

if the attorney does not agree, file your answer within the allowed time period to avoid a default being entered against you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">