• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

neighbor troubles

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

brainchild

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?
Hawaii

The scenario: We live in a studio that's attached to a main house. We used to share a mailbox with the occupants of the main house until they moved out last month. They're a family of four -- a mom, a dad and two college age children. We only had trouble with the mom. We've always had our address with the letter B after the house number to signify that the mails are for the people who live in the studio.

1st offense: She opened one of my husband's credit card statements and returned it with a lame note that she didn't realize it wasn't hers because she opened the envelope in the dark. (how stupid can you get to wanna open correspondences in the dark when you know that you can't read them).

2nd offense: She returned an IMPORTANT immigration document that I have been waiting for. Eventhough she knows my first name and that the mail was addressed to apartment B, she just took it upon herself that she's going to return the mail. When my husband asked her if she came across some stuff from the INS, she admitted she did and just casually said that she returned them because she doesn't know the addressee. Well, now I'm going through hell trying to get my papers together because of what she did.

The question: Can we sue our former neighbor for damages because she left a really serious one especially to me. All my husband and I wanna do is live a normal life but right now, things have gone from bad to worse because I can't even do anything.

C

coosi

All my husband and I wanna do is live a normal life but right now, things have gone from bad to worse because I can't even do anything."

**You stated they moved last month. Why can't you now live a "normal" life? What can you not do? :confused: :confused:

B

brainchild

well, i can't find a job because the document she returned is my employment authorization card

C

coosi

well, i can't find a job because the document she returned is my employment authorization card"

**Can't you contact them and get another one? Mail does get lost sometimes...

K

krispenstpeter

And of course you can't dial a telephone because all of your fingers are amputated or drive to the local INS office because you are blind or take a bus because you don't have small change or walk because you are a double amputee.

I guess you'll just have to sit there and do nothing to help yourself.

B

brainchild

well kris, thanks for being nice and thanks for bothering to answer. i don't understand when all i did was ASK if i can sue our former neighbors for damages.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

coosi

all i did was ASK if i can sue our former neighbors for damages.

**Anyone can sue anyone. I can't imagine you would be successful, even if you have standing to file. Are you a US citizen? You very well might need to be...

And you didn't answer the question on my last post?
**Can't you contact them and get another one? Mail does get lost sometimes...

PS
If you want to live a normal life like you said, I have news for you, suing your neighbors is NOT "normal"!

B

brainchild

coosi, i did ask the INS to send the document back -- only it took them more than a month and when i did get the document, it's about to expire. actually, it's expired now and the reason why i said i can't do anything is that i can't even apply for a social security # because my documents are already all screwed up.

B

brainchild

well stephen, the INS sent it to me on Feb. 2 but i dunno when it actually got here because i only learned that it was returned to them when i checked the status of my application online. now, i had to call INS more than 3 times requesting them to send my employment authorization back to me. when they finally did, and it took them more than a month and the remaining validity of the card was 8 days. as if i can find a job in one week. so now my husband's income tax got screwed up because the IRS was looking for my social security, but i can't even apply for a number due to my documents being either pending or expired.

B

brainchild

by the way, to the people who replied to my question...today is now may 7 here in hawaii. i just got a mail from the social security office ONE FULL MONTH AFTER they sent it to me...and interestingly, there's a "return to sender - does not live here" note written on the envelope despite the mail being addressed to apartment B. remember, one full month. our neighbors were still here during that time. how's that for proof that our former neighbors were messing up with mails that aren't theirs to begin with and just decide for themselves what kind of mail me and my husband should or shouldn't receive.

i may not be a citizen of this country but i do know that that doesn't give anyone the right to obstruct and jeopardize my personal business.

BL

You Applied for Social security, aren't even a Citizen ??? Or is it our government gives away our working tax payers money now to support Non citizens ?

Anyways if someone tappered with your mail contact the Post Office .

B

brainchild

blond lebinese, i applied for social security # because i happen to be married to a US citizen and he declared me his dependent because i'm still not employed. i already applied for adjustment of status so excuse me, i'm not a homeless alien whom you think uses taxpayers money to support myself. you don't know what you're talking about so stop bitching.

BL

Anyways if someone tappered with your mail contact the Post Office .

Don't I get a thank you ?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">