• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex disabled, has approved SS case .....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

motherearth

What is the name of your state? IL

I have a 10 year old son. His father is in another state, was disabled by an accident. The ex was lying about getting SSI (disablility) since 9/01/03. Recently I was phoned by an SSI rep. stating to make an appointment. I have. Apparently, he has been getting a monthly check since 9/03. Retroactive. Will my son get his "cut" retroactive to 9/03. This man has not payed a dime since 7/03 and has never paid a dime over 9+ years. Only partial paid thru 2003. So, what will happen? How can I expect this to work. ? I have never dealt with SS.
Thank you very much for your advice.

Last edited:

C

coosi

What is the name of your state? IL
I have a 10 year old son. His father is in another state, was disabled by an accident. The ex was lying about getting SSI (disablility) since 9/01/03. Recently I was phoned by an SSI rep. stating to make an appointment. I have. Apparently, he has been getting a monthly check since 9/03. Retroactive. Will my son get his "cut" retroactive to 9/03. This man has not payed a dime since 7/03 and has never paid a dime over 9+ years. Only partial paid thru 2003. So, what will happen? How can I expect this to work. ? I have never dealt with SS.
Thank you very much for your advice
**SSI and SSDI work differently. If your ex is receiving SSDI and got a retroactive benefit, the child would be eligible for the same number of months of benefits. I've heard different stories about this, sometimes that the check goes to the CP but sometimes to the disabled person. Try the SSA site for FAQs.

M

motherearth

Thanks. I thought so. I do not think it would go to him, as he will not send it to us. I will tell the lady that, if that is the case, to forget it. I dont want him to get more for something he hasnt done.
He is totally disabled, as he has a metal plate, a slurred speech, and disfigurement. Someone attacked him with a pipe.

tigger22472

The first thing you would need to find out is if it is SSI or SSDI that your ex is receiving. SSDI is based on what you work thoughout your life. SSI is basically welfare. This is really important when it comes to the children.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">