• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small Claims: Appeal or Motion for New Trial/Amended Judgment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LekiaHall

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Maryland

Hello All,

On Monday, I went to court defending myself against my landlord who claimed damages to a unit I moved from in 2003. They claimed fees for damages and also for rent (claiming no notice given).

During the case, the Rental Manager, testified under oath that prior to her walking the premises and discovering my unit vacant on a certain date she never rec'd notice of my intention to move. She denied that the rental office rec'd my initial letter 30 days prior to my move where I requested to be present during the walk-through (I included the letter w/ my rent pymt; She acknowledges the pymt, not the letter). She also denied receiving my second letter sent via certified mail a month and a half later, which gave them my new address and re-iterated my desire to be present during the walk-through.

Long story short...Judge found her as a credible witness, believed I didn't give notice, believed that the landlord never rec'd my letter, and awarded her the Judgment.

After skimming the case on the way home, I realized an oversight. Although the witness claimed to not have rec'd notice, they provided an Exhibit to the Court which shows they rec'd notice on a certain date (I'm sure they don't know this; and I didn't catch it until it was too late). This date also coincides with the date that my second letter was signed for by an employee of the rental office. Also, on their Exhibit, they had my new address. So on the same day that she alleges she found the apartment vacant, they had my new and current address. To obtain my new address on the same day she discovered I moved is nearly impossible unless they did in fact get my notice. So, she in fact,, as I already knew, lied under oath and therefore is NOT a credible witness. So, the Judge erred by relying on untruthful witness.

My issue is: Should I file a Motion for New Trial or Appeal the Judgment? The only problem is I fear that if I file the motion for a new trial, I'll have to give the reasons why and "put all my cards on the table". And if the motion is denied and I then appeal, my landlord will know what I plan to do and do damage control. At an appeal hearing, I would make sure that she stated under oath that she'd not rec'd notice and then point out to the Judge where their own evidence contradicts her testimony. In light of this, I'm hoping that he'll deem her as a untruthful witness and dismiss all of her other claims (she offered no receipts, ect to prove damages; just said what was owed; Judge took her word).

Do I have a chance? Any advice is GREATLY appreciated.

JETX

"Should I file a Motion for New Trial or Appeal the Judgment?"
*** What court was this heard in?? The reason that is important is, if a small claims hearing, most states appeal process from small claims is a 'trial de novo' (meaning a new trial).

From a Maryland small claims site:
"You have ten (10) days after the Court makes its decision to request a new trial. Such requests are rarely granted.

You have 30 days to file an appeal to the Circuit Court, where a completely new trial will be held. You will not be required to furnish a transcript. You may request the Court to provide you a cassette recording of your trial. There is a fee involved."

LekiaHall

JETX said:
"Should I file a Motion for New Trial or Appeal the Judgment?"
*** What court was this heard in?? The reason that is important is, if a small claims hearing, most states appeal process from small claims is a 'trial de novo' (meaning a new trial).

From a Maryland small claims site:
"You have ten (10) days after the Court makes its decision to request a new trial. Such requests are rarely granted.

You have 30 days to file an appeal to the Circuit Court, where a completely new trial will be held. You will not be required to furnish a transcript. You may request the Court to provide you a cassette recording of your trial. There is a fee involved."
Thanks for responding. The case was small claims (District Court) so when I appeal it will be heard in Circuit Court. As I'll be representing myself pro se, I'm worried that the proceedings will be more formal. Will it still be heard with the lax regulation of small claims or will I need to follow Circuit Court rules? Would you advise against representing myself pro se in Circuit Court? The amount in question is 1900, but a lawyer will charge at least 1K to represent me. Doesn't seem very cost-efficient to me, but I just don't want to feel overwhelmed during the proceedings. Also, can testimony from the initial trial be brought up or will this all start over from scratch?

Thanks!

JETX

"As I'll be representing myself pro se, I'm worried that the proceedings will be more formal. Will it still be heard with the lax regulation of small claims or will I need to follow Circuit Court rules?"
*** Most states do not continue the informal 'small claims' practices when a case is heard in a higher court. I don't know about Maryland, but you might contact the court and ask.

"Would you advise against representing myself pro se in Circuit Court?"
*** If the higher court adheres to the Rules of Evidence and Court then you would be at a disadvantage in that court if the other party has an attorney and you don't.

"Also, can testimony from the initial trial be brought up or will this all start over from scratch?"
*** Again, most small claims courts are NOT courts of record and most small claims appeals to a higher court are 'trial de novo' (which means a 'new trial' as if no prior trial had been held).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">