• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First jury trial, what should I expect?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Raptor13x

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I've asked for a jury trial for a reckless driving ticket I recieved, and I'd like to know what to expect, like the course of events throughout the legal process before and during court. What do I have to have prepared, and what should I know?

I've completed arraignment and pre-trial, and the actual trial is in a month. I recieved a "Prosecuters Demand for Discovery" too, do I have to respond to this or am I allowed to keep the prosecuter in the dark as to my defense to give me the upper hand? I am defending myself and refuse to get a lawyer, and dont try to convince me to, thats not what I'm here for, I'd just like to know what to expect. Thanks to anyone that can help!

Jim

stephenk

"I recieved a "Prosecuters Demand for Discovery" too, do I have to respond to this or am I allowed to keep the prosecuter in the dark as to my defense to give me the upper hand?"

No dont respond. The prosecutor just sent out the demand because they know you are not represented by an attorney. Prosecutors do this all the time to people who refuse to hire an attorney. Remember to bring up this issue when you first go before the judge. He will deal with it appropriately.

By the way, have you thought about reading the criminal procedures statutes for Michigan?

R

Raptor13x

stephenk said:
By the way, have you thought about reading the criminal procedures statutes for Michigan?
Where can I find these online?

And thank you for being the first remotely helpful person I've heard from on this board.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

stephenk said:
"I recieved a "Prosecuters Demand for Discovery" too, do I have to respond to this or am I allowed to keep the prosecuter in the dark as to my defense to give me the upper hand?"

No dont respond. The prosecutor just sent out the demand because they know you are not represented by an attorney. Prosecutors do this all the time to people who refuse to hire an attorney. Remember to bring up this issue when you first go before the judge. He will deal with it appropriately.

My response:

Stephen, where did you get the idea that the prosecution cannot conduct discovery of this defendant?

But, I love it when you say, "No dont respond. The prosecutor just sent out the demand because they know you are not represented by an attorney."

IAAL

lwpat

"Stephen, where did you get the idea that the prosecution cannot conduct discovery of this defendant?"

He was being asinine. You just had a blonde moment.

"Hey, have checked into visiting days and hours? Your family might want to know this information."

I would also start getting used to potato salad and beans. I hear Michigan is famous for them.

stephenk

I couldnt figure out what icon to use for sarcasm.

Original poster, if you want to bring up evidence to the judge you better respond to the prosecution's discovery demand. The court's don't allow "hide the ball".

go to the michigan government website and look up statutes. Better yet, go to a law library at the nearest court and look up the statutes.

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

stephenk said:
I couldnt figure out what icon to use for sarcasm.

Original poster, if you want to bring up evidence to the judge you better respond to the prosecution's discovery demand. The court's don't allow "hide the ball".

go to the michigan government website and look up statutes. Better yet, go to a law library at the nearest court and look up the statutes.

My response:

I have to admit, you gave me some pause. I knew that you knew better, but like you said, it's difficult sometimes to reflect sarcasm in writing.

Way to go!

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">