• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Going to court......but

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Loh555

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I really could care less if I win. I want to cut a deal, but if they will not make me a reasonable offer, I want to take it to trial and take up as much of the courts time as possible. I would also like to take up as much of the officers time as I can. He gets paid time and a half for court, so I feel I should get my moneys worth. So what motions of discovery could I file to help me accomplish this? What questions should I ask? Can I call more witness, like his trainers, any auto repair guys that may have worked on the car? (no radar, I was paced) Any advise?

Was for 48 in a 35 btw. I do admit I was going 45, however, it was 3 AM on an industrial (no homes or people anywhere) road.

JETX

Obviously, no reasonable person on this forum is going to help you 'abuse' the system solely for your own entertainment.
Go to court, take up your time giving a defense. Accept the consequences. Grow up.

L

Loh555

JETX said:
Obviously, no reasonable person on this forum is going to help you 'abuse' the system solely for your own entertainment.
Go to court, take up your time giving a defense. Accept the consequences. Grow up.
I am grown up. I would also have no problems accepting reasonable consequences. However, paying $110 plus have points put on my DL (raising my insurance) for going 10 MPH over the speed limit on an isolated road in the middle of the night, by some cop looking to get some extra cash from his court time, is not reasonable. If the court is willing to accept $50 bucks and no points, I'll have no problems taking a plea. Otherwise, I am going to get MY money's worth.

You sound like a cop or a lawyer, with is it?

JETX

Any mature person would realize that going 10 MPH over the speed limit on an isolated road in the middle of the night, is NOT an exception to the state traffic laws. Traveling above the set speeding limit is illegal, no matter where or when it is done.
And if you are going to purposely violate the traffic laws, any mature person should be prepared to accept the consequences of his or her actions.

L

Loh555

JETX said:
Any mature person would realize that going 10 MPH over the speed limit on an isolated road in the middle of the night, is NOT an exception to the state traffic laws. Traveling above the set speeding limit is illegal, no matter where or when it is done.
And if you are going to purposely violate the traffic laws, any mature person should be prepared to accept the consequences of his or her actions.
First off, you didn't answer my question, cop or prosecutor, or maybe a wannabe prosecutor? (student) That's my guess.

Secondly, your wrong. I mean come on, do you really have this the law is the law mentality or are you just a moron? You never speed, not even 1 MPH over the limit? Always come to a 100% complete stop at stop signs? Drove somewhere without a seatbelt? According to your mentality you should go turn yourself in a pay the fine, because not getting caught is NOT an exception to the law!

Really Jet, lets be reasonable. My situation is NOT an exception to the traffic laws, however I shouldn't be paying the same fine as someone going 30 MPH over the limit on a busy street. How do I keep from doing this? I play the game. The game that is played in court everyday. Play the system. That means going to court and attempting to make a reasonable plea bargin with the prosecutor. However, if I get some dick head prosecutor, like you, with a "the law is the law" attitude, like you, then I have to be prepared to make him wish he would have made a reasonable deal.

You know, as I sit here writing, I realize that it isn't going to do any good. You are just sad, and this is a waste of my time. I'm done, so go ahead and make your next comment, as I can tell already that your they type of person that HAS to have the last word...........I'll just hit the local library, sure there are a few books there with some ideas to help me out.

JETX

"First off, you didn't answer my question, cop or prosecutor, or maybe a wannabe prosecutor? (student) That's my guess."
*** Your question, nor your guess', has any relevance to your issue.

"Secondly, your wrong."
*** Simply, no I am not.

"I mean come on, do you really have this the law is the law mentality or are you just a moron? You never speed, not even 1 MPH over the limit? Always come to a 100% complete stop at stop signs? Drove somewhere without a seatbelt?
*** My driving is not in question here. YOU are the one with the speeding ticket. :D

"According to your mentality you should go turn yourself in a pay the fine, because not getting caught is NOT an exception to the law"
*** And where does my post say ANYTHING about getting 'caught' or not?? I have to think that you realize how inane your 'assumptions are.... and mis-statement of the facts.

"Really Jet, lets be reasonable. My situation is NOT an exception to the traffic laws, however I shouldn't be paying the same fine as someone going 30 MPH over the limit on a busy street."
*** And why not?? You are not really so stupid as to think that you have 'special' rules, are you??

"How do I keep from doing this? I play the game. The game that is played in court everyday. Play the system. That means going to court and attempting to make a reasonable plea bargin with the prosecutor."
*** Wait!! Now you are 'changing the rules'. In your original post, you said only that you were intent on taking "up as much of the officers time as I can.", "so I feel I should get my moneys worth.". Now you are talking about a 'plea bargain' to a lesser charge. These are two ENTIRELY separate issues.
If your intent is to plead this down.... certainly try to talk with the prosecutor. However if your intent is to be a punk, immature idiot who's only goal is to 'screw with the system', then you can kiss my ass. :D

"However, if I get some dick head prosecutor, like you, with a "the law is the law" attitude, like you, then I have to be prepared to make him wish he would have made a reasonable deal."
*** Sounds like you have a LOT of experience with 'dickheads', huh?? By the way.... how is the family?? :D

"You know, as I sit here writing, I realize that it isn't going to do any good."
*** You are finally correct on something. Trying to explain maturity and 'accountability for your actions' is a concept you simply do not understand. Sounds like your parents failed in the most basic principles of your upbringing.

D

demigrog

Loh555, I think you're most likely to just piss off the judge. I sympathize with you though; speed limits are ridiculously arbitrary.

I think it should be up to the driver to assess road, traffic, and weather conditions and drive accordingly. Why should the police need to know the exact speed of a vehicle? If they cannot tell from visual observation that the driver is doing something unsafe, then the driver probably is not. Radar has made it far too easy for police to get lazy and enforce the letter of the law rather than the spirit of it; they have taken human judgment out of the equation. Unfortunately, the revenue from tickets is a big counter-incentive to actually fixing the problem.

My solution (which I have bugged my state senator about, to his amusement) would be to disallow pulling over someone for non-reckless speeding without another offense. If they want more revenue, let them raise taxes and take the political heat for it.

JETX, I think you’re missing the point. Speed limit enforcement is an arbitrary, random process that catches good drivers in momentary lapses (that are often not even remotely unsafe) as often as it does bad drivers who drive aggressively. By the strict letter of traffic laws (even with a 5mph cushion for speeding) most Americans are criminals. Any law that makes almost everyone a criminal is obviously flawed, but due to the revenue from tickets and the naïve notion many people have that speed limits are set only for safety reasons there is no way to fix the problem politically. We are stuck with random enforcement for the foreseeable future. (Fortunately most states have a cap of 40% on local revenue from traffic and parking tickets, otherwise it would be a lot worse). So, people get a little frustrated and feel better if they can inconvenience the bureaucracy. Fine with me if they work within the system, I like to think that $49 processing fee on tickets is actually paying for something court related instead of that silly stadium the city council wants to build. I just think the frustration would be better aimed at state legislatures.

K

krispenstpeter

demigrog, shut the hell up. You are showing your ignorance.

The law states a speed limit. If you don't have the intelligence to follow these simple instructions then you pay the price.

Or, I guess we should change the law just to fit your life?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

demigrog

krispenstpeter, have you ever posted anything useful to these forums? I have read quite a number of threads, and have never seen you write anything but lame, childish insults.

Normally I try not to feed the trolls, but I am curious.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">