• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Missed Court Date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bknyguy

New York- I sent a certified letter to the DA where my court date for a speeding ticket was pending telling him I was going to be out of the country and asking for a later court date. I also asked for future correspondecnes to go to my work address since I was out of the country. They gave me a trial date I could not make and never sent anything to my work address. Do I have any recourse? I have just got back to the country and have not recieved anything since the missed trial date in March.

lwpat

Go down to the court and take the letter and your passport. Talk to the DA or Judge and see if you can get the FTA removed and another court date scheduled.

If not then you can either pay the fines or see if an attorney could help.

snostar

Actually, there very well may be a warrant out for your arrest.
The police could come knocking at any time and haul you down to the station. If the court can't help you call the local police, turn yourself in, and new date will be set.

Be sure not to forget you wallet!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">