• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there such a thing as a simple contract?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

amylama

What is the name of your state? Iowa

A little background history: My 21 yr old daughter who is 4 months pregnant has been recently charged with a felony charge of meth possession. She is single, unemployed, and a high school drop-out. She has been battling with drug addiction since she was 14 years old. We have been in and out of the courts since she was 14 and I have always been the one to cry to the judge not to take her from me and that we would work this out. Things always got better "for a while". Anyway, after she turned 18 years old, we had her court records sealed and she stayed out of trouble for a while, besides a few driving with no license charges... until now...

Her lawyer says that she will likely get off with probation, but he has suggested that she enroll in a treatment program "voluntarily" before her court date in July. She has no money to pay for this. And I have already paid for treatment one time when she was 16. My husband refuses to help because we have already helped to many times in the past. I can still give her the money myself. I somewhat agree with my husband, but I am in great fear for my soon to be grandchild.

I have told my daughter that I will "loan" her the money this time instead of "giving" it to her and ONLY if she signs a contract that says that I will consider the loan paid in full ONLY if she gets a GED and then a JOB (She has no worries about childcare, as I work from home and am looking forward to caring for the baby while she completes her GED and while she works.)... If she doesn't do both of these things I told her that... "I will be like those people on day-time tv court and sue her for the cost of the treatment." My daughter has agreed.

Do you know of any links that you could point me to a simple contract that I could adapt to what I need?

My apologies for the length and thank you in advance.

C

coosi

GENERAL PROMISSORY NOTE FORM

$________________________

_________________________ (Date of Making)

_________________________ (Place of Making)

For value received I, __________________, of ______________________ (address), __________________ (city), _______________ (county), __________________ (state), promise to pay (or promise to pay to the order of) _____________________
at _____________________________ (address), _______________________ (city), ______________ (county), __________________ (state), on __________ (designate time payable, such as: _____ months after date without grace or on date, or if payable on demand, on demand) the sum of ________________ ($__________), with interest thereon at the rate of __________ percent (_____%) annually.

stephenk

what will you do when she doesnt get her GED or a job? Sue her? What does she own that you can collect?

You should make her sign the agreement if you truly believe she will comply with the terms, but dont really expect to ever get the money back you spend on her treatment. Drug addicts will say and do anything to get out of trouble. Your hubby is correct.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">