• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

website trademark/copyright issue?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

johnfc

What is the name of your state?VA

I have discountstore.com and want to develop it selling products through an affilate program. CAn someone please help me out with a few questions. Thank you.

1) DIscountstore.net has "All trademarks are the property of their respective owners. This public forum website is not affiliated with the trademark owner(s)." labeled on there website. Is this anything for me to be concerned about?

2) Do I need to worry about trademark/copyright issues since this is a generic name? If so where can I search to make sure I wont infringe on either of these? Wheres the best place for me to register a copyright if I need one? And do I copyright "discountstore.com"?

I appreciate any help.
Regards,
John

divgradcurl

I have discountstore.com and want to develop it selling products through an affilate program.
Does this mean you own the domain?

1) DIscountstore.net has "All trademarks are the property of their respective owners. This public forum website is not affiliated with the trademark owner(s)." labeled on there website. Is this anything for me to be concerned about?
This just says that any trademarks you see on the site belong to whomever they belong to and not the owner of the domain. Why do you believe this might have an impact on you?

2) Do I need to worry about trademark/copyright issues since this is a generic name? If so where can I search to make sure I wont infringe on either of these? Wheres the best place for me to register a copyright if I need one? And do I copyright "discountstore.com"?
Maybe. You can check to see if a trademark is registered at www.uspto.gov. That is also where you would register your own trademark, although if you plan to make any money at this, it's probably best to work with a trademark atorney to get your mark registered.

This is all trademark stuff, not copyright stuff, so don't worry about copyrights.

johnfc

Thank you for the reply.

I am in the middle of a escrow transaction to obtain ownership of the domain name.

I don't think the label discountstore.net has on there site will impact me. I was just curious if there would of possibly been any issues for me for what I want to do.

I will get with an attorney to setup a trademark.

Just curious, what is the copyright label most sites have at the bottom of their sites mean? I definetly don't have to do this as well? This only applies to non-generic names?

Thanks again for your help.

John

divgradcurl

The copyright is there to protect the content and layout of the site itself. Any protection for the domain or the name of the site would be under trademark.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">