• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NC 16 year old tried as an adult?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dbk777

What is the name of your state?NC

My 16 year old had been arrested and charged for misdomener destruction of property and felony b & e and petty larsony. They fire some fire extinguishers and the clean-up was quite extensive. Three properties were involved. On 2 charges, my son was just there, and the child guilty said he was taking ownies. Sean did enter the 3rd and stole misc office supplies, etc.
1st offence, never any trouble, a seriously bad decision....
Court appointed attorney sounded like we were pleading not guilty to all on initial meeting (only a few minutes), appt forthcoming.
Questions:
1. Is a 16 year old considered an adult in this instance?
2. What is the law on the age of a minor?
3. If my son is considered a minor, is a newspaper at fault in printing his name and address?
4. Is it legal to print any criminals address in a publication?
Because of a bad decision, my son will be paying restoration for damage done. He knows that and has already sought and obtained employement to get himself ready. But, if a publisher is at fault for this action (twice - two separate articles), I will definately seek out restitution from them. I heard of a case in montgomery county, md that was based on just this point.

all responses appreciated...

racer72

1. It is up to the prosecuting attorney. There could be a couple of reasons for charging a minor as an adult. One could be the punishment does not fit the crime if charged as a juvenile, but if convicted as an adult the sentence can be much stiffer. And juveniles convicted as an adult can be held financially responsible for any restitution.

2. Your question is vague, what do you mean?

3. Police and the DA's office do not release names of anyone till charges are filed. It is then newspaper policy as to whether the name of the charged is printed. Some newspapers print minors names, some don't. It's their 1st Amendment right, there is nothing you can do about it.

4. Yes. My local paper prints the names and addresses of registered sex offenders everyday. Nothing in your post suggests the newspaper did anything wrong. You have no case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">