• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Software Copyright Infringement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dtrax

What is the name of your state? Outside US.

Hi Guys,
Need a little legal assistance on a problem I faced recently. I run an online music community and recently hired a freelance programmer to setup a social networking site, yes similar to sites like friendster.com and tribe.net. I got my programmer to write the software which works in a similar way as Tribe.net in terms of functionality, sequence, organization and structure of the script. Not long ago, I got an email from Tribe regarding copyright and intellectual property infringement and they have also sent a DMCA notice to our webhost. Assuming that the source code of the software, images, content and web design are ours. Do tribe.net have the rights to issue a DMCA notice even though they claim that the sequence, organization and structure of the accessible pages of the software on my site are substantially similar to Tribe.net?

Please help!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">