• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Payee Appointed

• Thread starter KimberlyKathryn
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

KimberlyKathryn

What is the name of your state?undefined[FONT=]undefined[/FONT]Ohio
I have just found out that my Dad has been in the hospiltal for 2yrs. after a stroke. After seeing him I feel that there maybe some neglect. I dont know how much money he recieves from S.S. I do know that a payee has been appointed. Should I have been notified?

tigger22472

Should you have been notified about his hospitalization? That's up to the rest of the family not the hospital or nursing home.

K

KimberlyKathryn

notified

Who has the rights over his care? I'm his only child, I would think that someone would have notifed me for his care. Like I said before he is being neglected and the payee is using the money like its her own.

tigger22472

I don't know how to tactfully say this so I'm just going to say it.

Obviously you haven't been involved in your dad's life and have no clue about his medical problems and some one has been put in charge... Blood or not.. it sounds as if someone is a POA and legally they are the ONLY ones that are to be notified of anything. If he doesn't have a POA and is deemed competent then HE has the right to his care and can make the decisions. If he's not competent then as I said either someone else has taken over what YOU SHOULD have done but obviously haven't (and it's probably too late now) or the state has taken over.

K

KimberlyKathryn

payee

I have been finding out more info on my Dads care everyday. You are right we did not have a close relationship but I did check on him thourgh phone calls. I have been lied to, I did not know about him being as bad off as he is. I dont want anything other than for him to get the best care that he can recieve. If the payee is using the money for their own needs what is next. I have also found out that when ask by the hospiltal about children they were told that there was none.

tigger22472

Who is the payee?

How are you finding out info on his care? Do you realize that legally whomever is giving you this information could get in trouble and if your father/and or POA finds out this person can be in severe trouble?

No-one is obligated to put you down on his records. If you are this concerned about it then you should seek a lawyer to check into what can be done but unless they can prove the payee is doing illegal things there is probably LITTLE that can be done. Obviously either your father or the courts has deemed this person able to care for him and the fact that you have been absent from his life will not help your case.

K

KimberlyKathryn

finding out

I've been finding out info from the daughter of the payee. And the daughter and I had a friendship yrs ago. She has been feeling very guilty with keeping this secret. Her mother wanted the money. My Dad wasnt a good Dad but he deserves better care. And if the money isnt being used for his care what can I do.

tigger22472

The bottom line is you would have to have PROOF that the money isn't going for his care and that could be hard to prove. A lawyer would have to look into it for a court would have to grant someone else his caregiver and that doesn't mean it would be you. More then likely it would go to a state caregiver.

K

KimberlyKathryn

payee

I dont know what else to say....I just want to do the right thing for my Dad. I just dont understand why she was able to gain control over him with out me being notifed. She was just a room-mate nothing more. Thank you for your advice in this matter. I was always told someday he will get what he deserves...it makes me very sad that he is. I never believed this woud happen I cant believe that she would keep this from me all because of money. It is not about what I can get its about what hes not getting.

skp216

KimberlyKathryn said:
I dont know what else to say....I just want to do the right thing for my Dad. I just dont understand why she was able to gain control over him with out me being notifed. She was just a room-mate nothing more. Thank you for your advice in this matter. I was always told someday he will get what he deserves...it makes me very sad that he is. I never believed this woud happen I cant believe that she would keep this from me all because of money. It is not about what I can get its about what hes not getting.
Go to the courts and ask what type of forms need to be filled out "pro se"; if you can't afford a lawyer; to ask the court to investigate this on his behalf. You may have a 50/50 chance of HIS getting help if needed. Good Luck.

BL

If Soc. Security was contacted and a request for the Payee was granted by Soc. Security , The Payee MUST keep records of how that money is spent for the recipient.

At this point you are speculating that the money being misused.

He is in the hospital, being treated under medical insurance. The bills at home still have to be paid .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">